Reconditioned tools...

Started by John_M, March 07, 2006, 09:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been with reconditioned tools?  Thinking of buying a recon 12" compound sliding miter saw and could save about $150 or more.

spinnm

We've done this a little, not much.  Since most of us don't use them daily seems OK.  Have to carefully check the warranty and then determine if buying a pig-in-poke seems like the thing to do.
You don't know who used it b4 you.  Could have been a pro, working for a company who provided tools, and was beat to death in no time.

We have to save at least 50% b4 we even consider it.

glenn-k

Generally in the few recon things I have bought, factory reconditioned gets them to pass original specs.  I have only bought a few things this way though.  A couple pocket pc's  and years ago - screw guns.  All were satisfctory.

I have bought quite a few used rental company tools - usually the maintenance was good and any leaks - problems etc were disclosed at sale time.  All were good.  This includes a large Bocat demolition hammer - a pneumatic tamper, Bosch Brute electric jack hammer - drills - welder -etc,  All good.

Makes the dollar go a long way - sometimes things are as is so if it needs something it's your problem,