Thinking about a second tractor

Started by peternap, October 10, 2011, 07:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I'm thinking about buying a second tractor, a little lighter, older and cheaper.
It would let me work with different implements or have one in one location and one at another and have one running while my other is down for maintenance.

I'd like lighter so it's more transportable.

I'm thinking about a Ford 8 or 2 N. Both last forever it looks like or even a Farmall although a little too light.

Farmers and Farmett people are getting rid of them now for a couple thousand.

Any thoughts?

(My tractor now is a China 45 HP which I love) c*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

8N is a bit small I think.  Generally a bit hard steering I recall but doable. 

Some of the small MF's are pretty decent also.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Rob_O

Maybe not the greatest tractor ever, but definitely one of the most popular.

Almost bought one myself but for a few (hundred) dollars more I got a Yanmar 276D. Slightly smaller than the Ford, but it's diesel and has 4WD
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

peternap

Quote from: Rob_O on October 10, 2011, 10:25:44 AM
Maybe not the greatest tractor ever, but definitely one of the most popular.

Almost bought one myself but for a few (hundred) dollars more I got a Yanmar 276D. Slightly smaller than the Ford, but it's diesel and has 4WD

I have the Jinma 445...great tractor if you rewire it, drain and replace all the fluids and replace all the chinarubber.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!