I couldn't let NM Shooter have all the fun

Started by peternap, September 22, 2011, 08:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I need a new rifle like I need a cup of sugar but while I was nosing around one of my favorite gunshops today, I spotted a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Winchester. It was used but looked like it was unfired....it was love at first sight, :-\ The price was good too.

I bought it and since it had a crappy scope, off to Bass Pro for their sale prices.

I bought a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope for it. It is designed as a muzzleloader scope but I have it's predecessor on three other hunting rifles and even on my crossbow. It's just a darn hard design to beat.

I haven't loaded for the 270 for years so I had to dig out my load data and will be ready for the weekend.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Sweet.  You know what this means?  Mtn Don needs a new gun too.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

My favorite all-around, versatile rifle for NM has been the Mini-14. Short, light, durable, and cheap. It will take a nice scope, or is accurate through the iron.  Lots of accessories available.  Fits under the back seat of my truck.   For serious hunting it's hard to beat a good bolt-action, but for plinking and playing, the Ruger is tough to beat.

If you want more horsepower, the Mini-30 is nice also. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

peternap

I've had plenty of time to really ring out the Weatherby and with two exceptions, I love it.

There is a very small almost un-noticeable feeding problem if only two shells are loaded. I think that's just a break in problem and doesn't happen if I load one or three shells, just two. Weatherby has agreed to fix it if it doesn't work itself out.

The other is the trigger. Weatherby triggers have a spotty record and by those standards, mine is good. It does have a small step though, a little like setting a set trigger then a crisp letoff. To be honest, I could live very well with that but since I can't ever leave well enough alone, I just ordered a Rifle Basix Varmint grade trigger for it.

This may turn into one of my favorite rifles when it's finished.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

The new trigger got here today and It took 5 minutes to put it in. I cleaned the rifle while I was at it and used a little steel wool to slick up the box walls. That may do away with the feeding thing.

This trigger is NOT what I'd suggest for a field rifle where I may be wearing gloves but is perfect for what I wanted. It's adjustable all the way and the weight of pull can be safely set from 2 oz to 2 pounds. It came factory adjusted at 16 oz and I bumped it up to a tad under 2 pounds. Absolutely no creep and it breaks as cleanly as glass.

I backed it down to 14 oz and I'll keep it there for my load development, then go back to 2 pounds where it'll stay.
At 14 oz the safety holds and I couldn't induce a slam fire.

This is my first Rifle Basix trigger and it appears as well made as any of my other aftermarket triggers except the Canjar.
I'm guardedly impressed with it.