Need advice on stairs

Started by ellbaker, May 09, 2011, 09:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellbaker

I have a 1 1/2 story 20x34 under construction (need to start my build thread).  It has a full walk out basement so I moved the two bedrooms to the basement.  I have an L shaped stair case that is 40" wide with code compliant steps (7.5" riser, 10 inch treads).  I am now tryin to work a solution for access to the loft.  It will be for sleeping only.  My first idea was a set of alternating step stairs (Jefferson stairs) that leans over the open well to the stairs down stairs.  My framer suggested another set of L shaped stairs over the main stair well.  They would be steep (8.5" rise, 8" tread).  I am building in an area without a building department so I will not have an issue with code.  I attached a drawing that shows the placement of L shape stairs.  I would like to restrict the total width to 30" including railing on both sides to maximimize floor space.  The loft will probably only be used by teenage kids for an extra spot to sleep.  Go with L shaped stairs or stick with ladder/Jefferson stairs?

Don_P

I'd stack the L's if at all possible, where you sleep determines whether code stairs kick in, that is the dangerous place you'll likely need rescue from. It sounds like if he snuck in one winder the rise/run would be to code and more comfortable to climb.

ellbaker

Can not stack them.  The stairs down to the basement start against the wall and empty into the center of the basement.  My loft access as drawn above would start up next to the down steps.  Steep stairs seem to be accepted in Europe.  

Appreciate the feedback!

MountainDon

FYI, info on UK stair codes can be found...
http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/stair-regs.html
Links on that page to other pages in their code.

It does appear they do permit slightly steeper private residence stairs. Equally interesting is they have provision for using alternating tread stairs with some restrictions.

When I look at the size of many of the local fire fighters, especially when dressed in their gear, it does lend importance to providing proper access for emergencies.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

For the occasional loft access you mention I would do the 30" wide steep cottage stair that is shown in the plans. You could add a winder if needed at the landing. There are two other less steep stair plan options on page 3 of the booklet that came with the plans.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

rwanders

Are you going to be hauling furniture up whatever pattern stairs you build?  I almost went with a spiral stair but, suddenly realized I would be trying to drag some large pieces up it.  I've never went up Jefferson alternating step stairways but some of them look difficult---cool but difficult.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida