Framing 2x6 Exterior Corners

Started by Medeek, May 24, 2014, 09:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

I've been struggling with the best way to frame ext. corners on 2x6 walls so I looked through a number of my framing texts and online and put together a small matrix with a number of methods.

A high resolution PDF file is here:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/framing/FRAMING_CORNERS.pdf

I do a lot of designs with hardiplank siding so good backing for the trim and siding is important to me.  Up until now I've been specifying Detail 2 a lot, but now I'm looking at Detail 5 and it seems to offer the same advantages and more.  Any thoughts?

Option 1#, the California Corner, seems to be the most standard corner framed by most people however its one downside is that it does not offer very good backing for nailing of siding and trim on the one side, otherwise that would be my corner of choice.  Solid corners are problematic since they often don't get insulated properly and they make it difficult for electricians to pass wire around the corner.  I've never liked the idea of using corner clips for drywall, just doesn't seem very sturdy to me, lean against it and the drywall might crack, correct me if I'm wrong.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer