To sub or not to sub?

Started by walkabout, February 16, 2009, 03:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkabout

I purchased the 20x30 single story plans last year, but am only now ready to do some detailed planning/costing as I had to get past mortgage company hurdles. I have been totally caught up in dreaming about building my cabin that I have neglected to spend more time planning.

What I am looking for is advice on what you all have subcontracted and what you have done yourself. Also where you can get the best bang for your buck.

These are the basic steps I believe I need to take:
1. Demolition of existing 20x22 cabin, 10x18 shed and outhouse
SUB/SELF?
This is something I believe I can do and can save some money on, but not sure of the effort or cost savings. I thought I could rent some big dumpsters and some heavy machinery and demolish my self with some help from friends.
2. Removal of 2 x 30 foot trees
SUB/SELF?
3. Excavation of basement/crawlspace
SUB.
I do not know how to use an excavator nor do I think I can do an adequate job.
4. 7 foot basement/crawlspace block walls
This is an area I go back and forward on. I have read people's experiences doing morterless/drystack walls and would be excited to do this, but then I see that many of you have subcontracted this out. Time is also a factor as I am not sure how long this would take me to do. I thought that if I did this myself I would hire a stucco person to install the bond layer as this appears to be the most time consuming part.
5. framing/windows/roof etc
SELF
6. holding tank install
SUB.
7. new well drilled
SUB.
8. electrical hookup
SUB.
9. in-house electrical and plumbing
SELF.

I have started building a model of the cabin which is probably a little premature since I don't really have anything approved yet, but it has helped me learn the framing techniques:
https://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/home_walkabout_usa/Cabin%20rebuild/

MountainDon

Well, those are all doable by oneself, depending on one's abilities.

I would categorize them as

SELF, 1, 2, 5, 9

SUB, 3, 6, 7, 8 (just the outside connection to grid)

SELF, #4 if I did drystack
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

davidj

I did my own foundation wall with absolutely no experience of masonry work.  I used "speed blocks", which use mortar between the layers but not at the end of the blocks (but that need filling with concrete and rebar)  It wasn't too hard, especially if all you're doing is a simple rectangle and you don't get too high.

There should be some photos on our thread soon...