Upon further review

Started by todpod, January 02, 2010, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todpod

We were going to tear down the church we currently live in and build a new house in back.  Its old and drafty and cost some serious bucks to heat in the winter.  But due to circumstances we are leaning on fixing this up.  We would start by gutting the interior, we had closed things off to help with heating.  Build the kids bedrooms along the back wall.  The older 2 kids would have a sleeping loft in their bedrooms.  We would take over the current loft for our room and maybe expand it a little and put a bathroom up there to.  that would leave me about a 25 x 30 great room, with the kitchen tucked back under the loft.  We have to add about 6 windows on the end for the bedrooms and replace the big windows with vinyl and reside the place to make it look presentable, and we will add insulation along the way.  The key to this is going to be the masonry heater we will plop right in the middle of the place.  There is access to firewood in the area and if this lives up to the hype then this should heat the place with a little back up.

I have tentatively figure that we should be able to do this for about, 20g.  We will be able to resuse the wood,  My dad is was a mason for 40 years so he should be able to build the heater for the cost of the parts.  I think we have it figured out but I am trying to think of stuff we forget any thoughts let me know, thanks todd