How long can I leave material on the job site?

Started by DutchMo, April 22, 2016, 03:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMo

Hi gang,

I'm thinking of starting off with a small (24ftx24ft) pole barn.  Once that's up, I'll be able to use it to store construction materials for the main cabin build.  I was looking at a DIY pole barn kit from Menards or similar.

The main issue is one of time - this will be a solo build on weekends.  If I start lagging behind on weekends, I don't want to ruin a bunch of construction materials by leaving them out in the elements - particularly the roof trusses and metal panels.  I'm not too worried about materials walking away - the neighbors keep a good eye on stuff while I'm not there.

So, how long can I reasonably leave materials on the job site without them getting ruined?

Secondly, is there anything I can do with how I store the materials to keep them from damage (2x4s under a lumber stack, or tarps over the top, for instance)?

Don_P

I'd imagine they would be happy to stage deliveries, break it down into 2 or 3 packages. I much prefer that trusses don't sit out long at all. Dead piled lumber, it doesn't seem to much matter what you cover it with, it will let water into the pile and cannot dry out, so do your best and try to use it relatively fast... it can sit out all winter and not get the damage of a week in the muggy weather of summer. If you restack the piles up off the ground with stickers between layers of lumber, cover the top of the pile and let the wind through the sides, it can dry quickly and will last a long time. that's how I dry green lumber.

Dave Sparks

I would try and get a roof on it (even with just tar paper) in 4 months from the time that the foundation is in. As Don suggested stage the deliveries.
We have mountain weather and it can change fast. You can store material under the roof and finish the shell the next year. Then you can cruise and do the finish work for as long as it takes....
"we go where the power lines don't"

DutchMo

Thanks, guys.  That's pretty much what I figured.  Good idea about staging deliveries.  That shouldn't be a problem, even if it does cost a bit more for a delivery charge that way.  I'd rather do that than have a bunch of material get messed up because I was too busy with my kids.  Good input.