The Sharps and the Big Gun

Started by peternap, November 06, 2012, 02:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I've been itching to take my Sharps hunting this year even though it doesn't qualify for Black Powder season. It uses paper cartridges. It's a .54 and accurate as all getout to 200 yards with the sights on it. If I ever get around to putting a tang sight on it, it'll shoot a lot farther.

I built the Bruiser many years ago. I forged all the furniture and lock plate. I used Chambers parts to finish the lock. This was the first double set trigger I ever built. One of the Gunsmiths at Colonial Williamsburg helped me with the design. Single stage breaks at 3 pounds and set stage is just a touch.

Mark DeHaas made the barrel for me which is as near perfect as it can get. No measurable runout.

I made the sights the way they were supposed to be made. The full buckhorn acts as a ghost ring for quick shots or a fine bead can be taken on notched shelf. I cut that for 100 yards.

Don Stith (Hawken Historian) helped with the design using one of his original Hawkens.

I sawed the stock blank from a storm downed tree and made the Aqua Fortis stain for it. I also used the Aqua Fortis to rust brown the metal.

Since then I've made a lot of prettier guns, but this one keeps getting Deer.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!