Wet/damp OSB

Started by n74tg, September 17, 2005, 09:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

Bought 86 sheets of 3/4 T&G OSB today at an auction for the house I'm building.  Some if it is visibly damp in the middle of the sheets (no apparent dampness at edges).  I won't need it for flooring for at least six months, maybe even 12 months.  It's currently stacked in my garage in two roughly 30" tall stacks.

I don't know how long it's been damp, but there is no visible mold yet; so question is can I leave it stacked damp until use.  I would like to try to dry it out, but don't have anywhere near enough room to spread it out, nor anywhere close to the roughly 240 small slats I would need to use as spacers so air can get to it.  

Anybody got any ideas?

If I did leave it stacked damp, and it did mold or mildew, is there anything I could use to remove mold/mildew prior to or after installation?
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

JRR

It's far more effective to stack "on edge".   Put the edges, at least slightly, off floor ... and put some spacers between the sheets for air circulation.

PEG688

Go to the lumber yard and buy a bundle or two of wood lath ( Well more like 5 bundles  :o, ) very cheap stuff.   They still sell it here anyway.   They come 4 feet long like 40 to 60  pieces  per bundle.    
         Mostly used behind the first course of beveled siding to tip the first course out a bit.

I'd restack your piles starting with three two by fours equally spaced , one centered the outer two 1 foot back from the end of your sheets , then put four of the wood lath ,spaced out , between each sheet.  Save the lath to do your starter course when you get ready to side the place.  I'd run a fan or two till you where sure the sheets are dry.

That mold that will grow will haunt you for the life of the building and killing it down the road will cost way more then the lath and the power to run those fans .

Good luck , PEG    
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .