siding transitions: flashing, bellybands, and trim questions

Started by MikeT, October 28, 2008, 09:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

As I look at homes and how the siding varies sometimes from one material to another, I was wondering about best practices.  I am using cedar shingles on much of my house, but on the backside and the side, I will be using shingles on the upper story but T1-11 on the lower story.  I am thinking about using a bellyband as a transition and it would be the same color as my corner and window trim. 

But with the transitions, should I use Z flashing above and below the band?  The band material I have on hand is cedar shiplap, so I wonder if I need the z metal if I have the shingles lap over on the top and the horizontal lap is tucked hehind?

BTW, I plan on using a rain screen under the t1-11, so I need to factor that in as well.

Thanks as always for your individual and collective thoughts.

mt

glenn kangiser

Seems like that should work fine Mike as long as you can get your levels to work out -- shingles out over the T111
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

You'll need to work thru the thicknesses and how they integrate. The lower side I say yes the tuck under / using the rabbet  is a good idea. But on the top it's unlikely the ledge created by the open side of the rabbet will be "tall" enought, I'd rip it off and use a "Z" metal or turn drip edge type flashing there.

It's not a exact Z   they call it cap metal up here its a 90 deg. angle up the wall and over the material it's flashing the it has a slight flair / bend so it's not tight up to the lower piece of wood. In fact Hardi has required it not to be a 90 deg angle but to have a slight slope 7 deg. or so .

I know thats hard to understand   and the home centers won't know what I talking about either. A good lumber yard guy would be the best place to look / ask about it.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

They apparently want to keep the bottom of their panel from sitting in water for days on end... Oh -- I forgot you are in the PNW ... I meant months on end. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

OldDog

If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live