Propane refrigerators question

Started by Dallas2build, June 11, 2010, 08:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallas2build

I ran a search and read all the post about them already and still have a few questions.  A couple of the post in other threads made mention of adequate ventilation and Mtn Don even mentioned a fresh air intake.  I am still in the design phase and want to be sure I design my kitchen right so that I can get the right set up.  SO, does the fridge need to be on an outside wall for fresh air?  DO they make an air intake kit for them?  Is there anything else I need to know before deciding where in my cabin to put the fridge?

As always, thank you for all of oyur help!

Dallas 

MountainDon

There are some IF's...

IF you buy a Servel propane refrigerator from thenaturalhome.com and IF you purchase the vent kit at the same time as the refrigerator you can get a vent kit. They do not sell the kit separately. When I was researching/shopping I did not find a vent kit anywhere else. That's not to say there isn't one, nor would it be impossible to make up something yourself. I have it, just haven't installed it yet.    d*   The naturalhome has an installation diagram on their website.

An outside wall makes the job simple.

It's still a good idea to have a CO detector.  That I do have installed. I got one that plugs into an AC outlet and has a battery backup. When the inverter supplies AC the CO detector is powered by AC and when the AC is inactive the batteries power it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Our old one got soot in the flame area and gave us CO and headaches so the vent and CO detector are a good idea.  We expanded our solar and are now all electric.  That is my first choice as propane is expensive for the fridge too.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dallas2build

I definetly am interested in the fresh air kit.  I am scared of CO and had a bad experience with it as a kid.  We kept having the headaches as well and finally dad figured out what it was.  Don't want to wake up dead one morning. :(  Don, we may have to talk about some ideas for building one at some point.

My next question is about something else I read in one of the old threads.  Someone mentioned it might be bad for the fridge for it to be left off at times, but they never elaborated.  Mine will probably be turned off for about 2 months during the summer.  July and August are just to hot, dry and snakey fo rme to be in the woods.  Is this bad and what do I need to do when returning it to service each year?

MountainDon

Dallas, all propane refrigerators work on the same principle. They use heat either from the propane flame or from an electric heater element.

That said, think of all the RV's that are sitting around for months on end.

Very few, if any, of those parked RV's, waiting for next year will be left with their refrigerators running. None of them will have problems because of sitting there unused. They might smell funky if not cleaned out properly, but that's another matter.  Many of the problems associated with RV refrigerators come from operating in a non level situation, not from being unused. Our RV is a 1983 and has the original refrigerator. No problems, no repairs and at times it sat for 10 months without use.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dallas2build

Quote from: MountainDon on June 12, 2010, 03:22:35 PM
Dallas, all propane refrigerators work on the same principle. They use heat either from the propane flame or from an electric heater element.

That said, think of all the RV's that are sitting around for months on end.

Very few, if any, of those parked RV's, waiting for next year will be left with their refrigerators running. None of them will have problems because of sitting there unused. They might smell funky if not cleaned out properly, but that's another matter.  Many of the problems associated with RV refrigerators come from operating in a non level situation, not from being unused. Our RV is a 1983 and has the original refrigerator. No problems, no repairs and at times it sat for 10 months without use.

Thanks Don, I knew I could get a good answer here.  That's why I post here.  That makes perfectly good sense and is something I should have realized myself.  Sometimes I make mountains out of mole hill.  d*

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the Crystal Brand?