Earth-sheltered Wofati/Oehler/PAHS on bedrock?

Started by Zelig, July 06, 2014, 03:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zelig

My land seems to have a high water table and shallow bedrock. It looks like my only option for earth-sheltering is to build on grade and raise the grade up and over the home. I've found an outcrop of raised bedrock that has enough square footage for a modest home but I'm not sure how I could attach the structure to the bedrock. What if I poured a footing with lots of anchors drilled into the rock and somehow attached posts to the footing? Could this arrangement resist the lateral forces of all that earthen cover?
With a PAHS-type approach to insulating a large umbrella over the whole thing could I reasonably expect the bedrock to be tolerable on the feet at -45deg? As I said, the bedrock only pops up in a small area (that would be enclosed by the structure) and drops off around the perimeter. In theory, when completely backfilled the bedrock would be under at least 5 feet of earth plus insulation on the south side and 10 feet plus insulation on the north, east and west. I realize this endeavour may seem illogical but that's the kind of stuff I like to pursue.

speedfunk

Can we see a pic of what your talking about environment wise?  What do you plan on using for materials?