Mini Split Heaters

Started by Yankeesouth, May 07, 2014, 12:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

Anybody use a mini split heater?

I have been doing more reading about the unpredictable hazards of gas/propane heaters and quite frankly seeing that story about the family in PA scared the hell out of me.  I have used propane to take off the initial chill but sometimes I admittedly let it run longer than I should.  I was wondering is anyone has installed  or uses a mini split unit?  I have seen some under or around $400.00 that heat anywhere between 800-1200sqf.  My cabin is drafty.....wondering if something like this would work?  Once the woodburner kicks in temp is fine!

MountainDon

Stopping the drafts would be one of the first things to do.

As far as using propane, if it is a direct vent heater there should be no worry. They use combustion air from outside ans exhaust to the outside.

The reports I read on the PA deaths mention faulty or improper venting... but do not elaborate on what was actually wrong. It could be the use of a non vented heater with all windows and doors closed. That's improper. Or it could be a different problem. I am not letting that event deter me from using our direct vent cabin wall heater. We also have a CO monitor/alarm that gets fresh batteries as needed, just in case something goes awry.

Split minis work well. There are efficient users of electrical power for cooling and heat. Their heating ability decreases as the temperatures get near their operating limit though. That should be checked before purchase. Higher quality units (more expensive) are designed with better low temperature performance.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

flyingvan

They are by far the most efficient electric method of climate control (unless you can afford ground source heat pumps) but that's not saying much.   Propane is pretty easy to do correctly and gravity wall furnaces are pretty darned inexpensive.  They also make for a cozier form of heat.  The mini-splits warm things up a few degrees above ambient---like in a hotel room.  You'll swear it's blowing cold air, but only because it's blowing air colder than your skin.   Also. the gravity wall furnaces can work even when the power's out.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Yankeesouth

Gravity wall furnace......... hmmmmm. ???

MushCreek

We put mini-splits in our new build, and have used them for about a month. We started out heating, and have now switched over to A/C (it's been a freaky spring). I have Mitsubishi units, and they are great so far. They are supposed to make usable heat down to 13 below zero F. I'm impressed with how quiet they are. I can't hear the indoor unit most of the time, and you have to be within 10' of the outdoor unit to hear it. Considering the bigger of my two units uses a maximum of 10 amps, I expect it to be cheap to run, especially in our tight, well-insulated home. It was a lot more expensive though-$1600 for our 12,000 BTU model. Although they come pre-charged, you need to know what you're doing regarding the hook-ups. I paid a pro to do the final connection to keep the warranty intact. According to the calculations, just the 12K unit will serve our needs 99% of the time in our 1300 square foot house. We have a second 9K unit in the master suite, but if we keep the doors open, shouldn't need it except for really extreme weather.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

John Raabe

Our Mitsubishi mini-split heat pump continues to fit our mild climate needs quite well. The main core of our 2000 sf saltbox is heated (and occasionally cooled) by this unit (click for more Info). We still have a few fires in the wood stove on the coldest nights of the winter and use some electric resistance heat for two additions that are not open to the main core of the house.

None of us are as smart as all of us.