2x6 roof decking

Started by mikelopic, February 18, 2007, 01:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikelopic

I am installing 2 x 6 t&g  roof decking,ice shield ,felt paper and shingles. No insulation,just exposed rafters. I am not to concerned about heat loss.what I am concerned with is condensation,with a wood stove and 20 degree temps, will the decking condensate? Does anyone have experience with this? the cabin will be for weekends and the occasional 5 day retreat(I hope). And if it does condensate, will vented skylites,ceiling fans ,help?  Thank you

glenn-k

With 20 degree temps I don't see warm moist ambient air being much of a problem so not a lot of moisture to condense.  Most of the moisture from a wood stove goes up the chimney and may condense there causing moisture and creosote needing  to be cleaned out once in a while.  Wood stoves tend to dry the inside air if moisture is not added in the winter.  I would expect the heaviest moisture problems to be on the windows.  We have never noticed moisture on our windows however we don't often get 20 degree weather.

I use wood in the Underground Cabin and while I have wood ceilings, there is about a foot of dirt - plus or minus over most of it.  

peg_688

I agree with Glenn , my shop is un insulated ,  I heat with wood , no moisture issues . Where you'll run into problems will be when you decide to insulate by attaching some sort of rigid foam sheets to the inside of that ceiling / roof , it will change the dew point enought to cause the sweating your worried about.  I have first hand seen this happen a few times. Here in the PNW.  

If you decide to go the non-insulation route you'll be fine till such time you change your mind.

G/L PEG

PS How about some photo's  ;)