Engineer'd basement FPSF

Started by UK4X4, April 26, 2011, 04:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

Well here's an ongoing story.

I did a house design with lots of help from people here, engineered the beams, rafters and basicly the whole thing.

I had to get an engineered foundation as part of the HOA and the mountain terrain.

The dealing with the engineer is becomming a bit like Mc donalds on a bad day, upsized and extra salad and apple pie

I have a bill for 4.5K and he's not finished yet !

he said the framing dwgs were not complete enough / correct- even though I could build from them with ease.

I have yet to see what he's charging for

Back to the foundation

yep I have 4 ft frost and loamy clay

He's talking 4 ft deep along the outside and 2 ft deep fins- waffle foundation construction so that when it heaves I can jack it back into place again.

the dwgs I gave him were for a frost protected shallow foundation that had a X of same depth 2 ft wide down the centers.

Q I have seen a few FPSF foundations on here- were they engineered or taken from the guidelines and built ?

The engineer is still weary of even putting a guarentee on the huge structure he's talking about as is.

Two sides of the house have 10ft overhangs- the east will have a concrete pad for cars angled away from the house, only one side right now has direct rain access.

Does anyone have an example of an engineered FPSF that they can share with me ?

the foundation is just a basic rectangle.

I was going to add french drains and gravel on all sides of the foundation as well as the standard design, to insure no water gets near it

UK4X4

Don

well I'm presently residing in Bogota Colombia - we arrived last month after almost three years in the deserts of the Arabian peninsular

But the property is in perched on the North side of grand Mesa colorado adjacent to the powderhorn ski resort.

I tend to feel that the soil guy and the foundation guy usually work on jobs down in the valley arround grand junction !

locally all are 3 story properties with full concrete basements, I'm not sure on the foundations

they are mostly backed into the hill side, due to the slope but my plot is basicly flat.

I'll draw a diagram and post shortly of the plot and a few pics of other properties