But it was calling me

Started by peternap, August 23, 2012, 04:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I've been looking at this for a week, then ignoring it, then it would call my name.

"Oh Peter....I exceed the 44 Magnums you love, and I'm a 1911"

I just weakened and it will be here Wednesday.

Quote44 Magnum Ballistics in your 1911 style pistol!!!

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm
.460 Rowland

# CLK-165-460B
w/ Blue Comp
# CLK-165-460SS
w/ Stainless Comp

As Seen In
American Handgunner, Johnny Rowland's Guns & Gear TV Show, 2nd Season Discovery Channel's Hogs Gone Wild (currently filming) and Shooting Times Magazine.
1911 Drop-In Comp Kits
$ 295 plus s&h ORDER NOW
318 949 9884 phone
Please Specify Government OR Enhanced/Gold Cup + Make,
Model & Firearm Material (Blue, SS or Bi-Tone) when ordering. details

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Pine Cone

This just shows that you are really in tune with the universe ;D

Not everyone would have heard that in-animate object speak to them.  Shall we call you gun whisperer now?

peternap

Quote from: Pine Cone on August 24, 2012, 06:11:48 PM
This just shows that you are really in tune with the universe ;D

Not everyone would have heard that in-animate object speak to them.  Shall we call you gun whisperer now?

It is a gift...and a curse! ???

The parts will be here Wednesday, I have plenty of bullets that are suitable but the Brass is back ordered so I had to buy a box of store bought ammo.

I have about 2 dozen different powders. None suitable for this cartridge so tomorrow I'm going to a gun show to buy powder when I should be planting my Winter Wheat. ::)

Other than that, it's a near perfect gun for me. I love the 44 Magnum and 45 Colt, but it scares people when I walk around the burbs with a 6" 629 or Redhawk.

The downside is it has to have the compensator which plays He!! with my night vision.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Got the conversion kit day before yesterday....and the trouble began. Here are some posts from another forum.

Quote460 Rowland Kit is driving me nuts
My wife bought me a 450 Rowland conversion for my birthday. I was really looking forward to it. Now I'm thinking about sending it right back to Brownells.

I stripped the 1911 and installed the new barrel. Followed the instructions and got to putting in the heavy spring.

I could not get it to completely compress to save my life. It kept wanting to bow out no matter how I held the slide.
Now I can field strip a 1911 and put it back together with my eyes closed...but this just defied any effort.

I tried the second (lighter spring in the kit) took me about 20 seconds to install it.

When I compared the two springs, the heavier one, in addition to having heavier wire, was also 4 coils longer than the lighter one (which is the same length as stock).

I called Clarks to see if I had gotten the wrong spring and they said No, the heavier one was longer and was more difficult to get in.

Then the Smith (Paul I think) told me how he installed it and it was almost word for word what the instructions stated. (My first thought and it hasn't changed is Bulls^&t).

Anyway...after 4 hours of trying every way I can think of, the guide rod (Buffer end) slipped out and disappeared into the portal to hell I have in my shop.

I just ordered a new one from Clarks and if I can't get this figured out, am sending the kit back for a refund.

Anyone have any ideas?

I found the part and installed the 20# spring. I'm calling Wolf tomorrow because the 24# has to be the wrong spring. It simply can't be installed.

I just modified a Star modelo Super and added a stronger operating spring in it. I threaded the inside of the spring guide and made a rod to screw in to it. I deleted the cute little cap at the front of the spring and made the rod the same OD as the hole in the barrel bushing and the spring guide. Now I install the spring into the pistol which is completely assembled and rotate the barrel bushing to locked position and then insert the rod and screw it into the spring guide. This keeps the spring from spronging as it is held straight by the pistol, and it provides a further spring guide to keep the spring straight while in operation. On a 1911, where the front of the spring fits into a cup that engages the barrel bushing you would only have to drill the cup to allow the rod to pass through (it would still hold the front of the spring. I don't know what your spring guide looks like or if the buffer might be modified to accept a longer front portion, but thought it might give you some ideas.

actually no the 24# spring is the right one I had one devil of a time getting that spring in but the 24# is the right one. steve k

How did you do it? I've been at it for over 6 hours total. It takes 20 seconds or so to install the 20# but I've tried every technique known to man and that 24 pounder just won't go in.

I have the Wilson Combat Hunter in 460 Rowland. I believe it has a 23# spring. It is a beast and I approach with caution. Once you fire your weapon though, you will know the reason behind that spring. Recoil is brisk to say the least.

OK...round 3 and I won this one.
I talkedto the Tech at Wolff springs. He said that was the right spring and to talk to Clarks. I explained that right at the moment, Clark's and I weren't on the best terms...I watched his installation video again and that isn't the 24# spring he's putting in.....

Anyway, the fellow said "You aren't trying to install it with the slide off are you"....well duh, yeah, that's the way Clark's says to install it.

He said, "You'll be chasing springs all day"....Well yeah.

Anyway, he said I had to install it with the frame on.

I ended the call and he obviously didn't know there was a compensator on it....but an idea flashed by. I have them once in a while.

Here's the technique and it works like a charm.

With the slide on the frame and the rod extension removed, barrel bushing turned all the way to the side. stick the rod extension in the spring loose so the spring won't try to double up. It has to be loose so you can tip the spring plug down enough to clear the compensator.

Slide the Spring Plug down the rod until you can slip under the lip of the Compensator. It does that naturally anyway.

Pull the rod out.

Push the Spring plug down into the tunnel enough to allow the barrel bushing to be turned into position.

Screw the rod extension back in and tighten.

Say three Hail Mary's and it's done!

So now I have the recoil spring in, the firing spring replaced, I loaded some 250 grain ammo and I'm ready to start working on load development.