Timber Framing Workshop/Class Recommendations in Pacific NW

Started by waggin, May 22, 2009, 08:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waggin

Anyone have recommendations for workshops, classes, instructors in the Pacific Northwest?  I may or may not end up building a timber-frame home at first, but I am fascinated by the construction and joinery and would love to attend a workshop or class.  Thanks in advance!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

poppy

There is plenty of info on the web.  I would start with the Timber Framing Guild.  There should be plenty of workshops listed; although the closest to you might be in Colorado.

I'm in the process of building a timber frame cabin and I'm doing it with internet info, but more importantly some books on the subject.  There is more than one method and more than one opinion of what works, so I would recommend multiple sources.

Jack A. Sobon has an excellent book, called Build a Classic Timber-Framed House.

Tedd Benson has a book, Building the Timber Frame House that is also very good.

And the third perspective is Steve Chappell and his book, A Timber Framer's Workshop.

I have other books that include some examples of timber framing that have given me ideas for my design.

I seriously considered a formal hands-on class/workshop, but I can't justify the cost.  I know it will take me longer to build without the formal training, but I can afford the time more than the money.

PEG688

Quote from: waggin on May 22, 2009, 08:25:49 PM

Anyone have recommendations for workshops, classes, instructors in the Pacific Northwest?  I may or may not end up building a timber-frame home at first, but I am fascinated by the construction and joinery and would love to attend a workshop or class.  Thanks in advance!

These folks are some what local , might be something here,

http://cascadejoinery.com/

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Whitlock

Quote from: poppy on May 23, 2009, 01:05:32 PM
There is plenty of info on the web.  I would start with the Timber Framing Guild.  There should be plenty of workshops listed; although the closest to you might be in Colorado.

I'm in the process of building a timber frame cabin and I'm doing it with internet info, but more importantly some books on the subject.  There is more than one method and more than one opinion of what works, so I would recommend multiple sources.

Jack A. Sobon has an excellent book, called Build a Classic Timber-Framed House.

Tedd Benson has a book, Building the Timber Frame House that is also very good.

And the third perspective is Steve Chappell and his book, A Timber Framer's Workshop.

I have other books that include some examples of timber framing that have given me ideas for my design.

I seriously considered a formal hands-on class/workshop, but I can't justify the cost.  I know it will take me longer to build without the formal training, but I can afford the time more than the money.

Great info-

If I had to pick one book above the rest it would have to be Building The Timber Frame House By Tedd Benson
For me this book has shown the tricks of the trade were others have failed.
I do like Steve Chappell's book for a look at the moden way of Timber Framing

Have fun out there,W
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

poppy

Whitlock
QuoteIf I had to pick one book above the rest it would have to be Building The Timber Frame House By Tedd Benson
For me this book has shown the tricks of the trade were others have failed.
I listed Sobon's book first, because if I had to pick one above the rest it would be his.  I like his classic & natural materials approach.  It would be nice if he had an update edition.

Since I don't have building codes to worry about, I can follow some of his suggestions.

firefox

I started to look at the link Peg left and my cat, who was laying on my shoulder, looking at the screen, actually started to drool when he saw those  beautiful posts  ::)

Those are some gorgeous houses.

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

waggin

Found one:

http://www.murraytimber.com/murrayworkshop.htm

It's a week-long class, and the goal is to be able to raise a small frame at the end of the week.

Googling with different ways to search for workshops/seminars/classes/instruction got me down from the initial 200,000+ results.  Cascade Joinery seems to be a builder.  They offer one-day seminars, but they seem to be more geared as sales events.  I went on one of those with Timbercraft over in Port Townshend.  You pay $30-$50 for the day, and they feed you lunch & snacks.  It was very interesting to learn some of the history, see some samples of joinery, tour the shop, and see a couple of the local homes.

I've got at least one of the three books mentioned, and probably more.  They're packed in a box right now...somewhere.  The books are great, but I'm really interested in the hands-on part.  Some of the things like reading the wood and deciding exactly where to cut and how to get the correct interference fit on the joinery just can't be gleaned from a book.  I've got a lot on my plate right now, but I hope to be able to take the class in September.  If anyone knows of any other workshops in the area, please let me know!

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

poppy

Looks like you found a good workshop.  Good luck and keep us posted.