truss quality question

Started by countryborn, July 26, 2008, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryborn

We have just finished putting up the trusses that we bought about 2 weeks ago.  (Just the 2 of us working on the house, & I have an office job that seriously cuts into my time, so everything takes a while.)  We are seeing that some of the top cords are considerably bowed - up to an inch & 1/4 out over a 15 foot span.
Is this normal & acceptable?
I suppose that we can straighten out the top cords with the temporary lateral bracing (using 1 x 4) before we nail on the plywood sheeting, & the sheeting will hold all in place when done. 
These W trusses are made with 2 x 4's, #2 grade top cords & webbing, #1 grade for bottom cords, per stamp on the wood.  5 in 12 pitch, 24' span.
Just want to know if this bowing is normal, or should we complain to the manufacturer.
Thanks!

you can't have everything without having too much of something.

PEG688

Thats normal, you should have some 1x4 layed out  24"OC ready to put up as you add trusses , generally one row per side about centered up the top cord. Then you install your facia which further straightens things out along OF cousre with the layout you had done before hand on the top plates.

As you sheath up the roof you push or pull then into layout as you go.

So I'd say you have a normal truss.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

Look at these 1976 ish trusses ,

Darn near knot free some / most VG Fir ( Vertical Grain Fir) these babies I bet where dead straight and I know they are about 4 times stronger than the crap we get today.

House is a mess eh :o

Well not so bad when you consider I just got done knocking the 5/8" S/R ceiling down and tearing out a few  , well more than a few walls . Filled two 20 yard dumpsters that week , ALONE , as in me, myself and I , best damned crew I ever worked with , no arguments , well not many anyway  rofl   

John Raabe

Yes, the chain of command is pretty short when you're working alone... and you know pretty much who screwed up when there is a problem. :D

Always nice to uncover the old wood and see what great stuff a natural forest can put out when it has a few hundred years to perfect the wood making business.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

Did you notice that "nice" repair over by the window , the new studs and cut off top plates  ::) The plumber ran the sink vent almost centered in a valley and it leaked , probably for years and must have rotted out the plates and a few studs.

Plumbers eh  ::)