Column connection to basement floor

Started by n74tg, December 29, 2007, 04:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

In my basement I will have two columns to hold up girders that support the floor joists.  When I poured the concrete floor I didn't know specifically where the columns would go, so I didn't put any kind of a bolt in the concrete at that time.  I need to do that now. 

I plan to use a 4x6 wood column (two of them actually) and have them sit on a Simpson ABA46 post bases.  I'll probably drill a 5/8" or 3/4" hole with a rotary hammer to place the bolt.

Now for my question.  What alternatives do I have for securing the bolt in the hole.  I've thought of the lead screw anchors and of using some sort of epoxy.  What have I missed here? 

By the way; the slab is 4" thick, but in each column location there is an 8" steel reinforced footer under that spot; so total concrete thickness there is about 12".   

thanks
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

PEG688

What we do in that case is bore a hole into the post bottom and a hole in the concrete 1/2 dia or 5/8" if you have 5/8 rebar , generally there is a stick or two of 1/2" around after the foundation is poured.

Any way we just set the post in place , mark around the base , move the post do a 45 deg. criss cross bore the pin into the center of the post and what will be center of the concrete spot. Drive the 12" long or so rebar down into the hole in the thickened slab area , drop the post over / on to the rebar pin. Use a piece of comp roofing IF the post is not PT , the post also gets marked and cut to length  before it's impaled on the rebar pin. 

Then set the beams on it.

IF you have the beam already in place on temp posts and want to use that base get a couple of 5/8"x 5" long Titans , bore proper size hole in concrete, drive Titan with impact driver.

TITEN HD®
Heavy Duty Screw Anchor for Concrete and Masonry

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .