New here

Started by quntmphscs, April 22, 2010, 11:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quntmphscs

Hi, new here.  We're building 2 small earth sheltered homes in Southern Missouri (one for us, one for mother-in-law).  The plan now is dry stack, surface bonded, earth bermed homes each with a green roof, facing south for solar gain (and of course having the proper overhangs and south facing deciduous trees for the summer).  We are working on a barn with reclaimed timbers, it was very difficult and we probably wouldn't do that again.  Even the beams that looked straight were warped or bowed just enough to make nothing want to line up correctly.  The roof and all the wall posts and purlins are up, the reclaimed sheet metal for the walls will go up next.  The structural stuff is done thank goodness.

Then on to the water project.  Since we are filling some of the concrete blocks, we'll need water at the site.  I  came on here today to look for cistern projects.  Our idea was to do a dry stack, surface bonded, bermed cistern and I'm looking for other lid ideas.  We recently found several springs on the property, one of which we appears and we've been told is year round, and we want to build a small spring house for it and use it for the house.  The original plan was to pump from the creek but since there is spring water available, we'd rather use that. 

I've been working on the floor plan and the drawings for the house for about 2 years now and am ready to get going on the build!  Still have issues to figure out with the roof.  We're going to hire an engineer for the structural part.  I haven't completely figured out how to use the thermal mass walls in the house as part of the roof support, hopefully he'll be able to help with that. 

So we're new and amateurs, but have read as much as we can get our hands on (about 20 books on building or similar projects).  I look forward to reading through the posts. 

JavaMan

Well, being new here myself (somewhat), I don't know if it's appropriate, but I will be the first to say  w*!

I've found the forum to be quite informative and enjoyable reading, and made a bunch of new acquaintances so far.  Everyone has been quite helpful and made a number of good suggestions.

So welcome!

ScottA

w*

Good luck with your project.