Epoxy rebar into concrete footing advice

Started by black_edelweiss, July 10, 2016, 11:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black_edelweiss

Im preparing to pour a concrete footing, and im a bit worried by measurements for the vertical rebar for my block wall will be off. I want to lay out the blocks on top of the footing after the footing dries and then mark where the vertical rebar needs to go so i know it will be right on. My questions is how deep do i need to drill my holes for the rebar and what size bit will i need if my rebar is 1/2 inch thick? My wall will be 8ft tall and i'll be building my house on top of the wall.

Thanks

Don_P

Install the vertical rebar before the pour with a 90 degree hook bent on the end that is wired under the footing rebar... you aren't going to get that kind of bond out of epoxy. Then, if any are out of place and cannot be bent over enough to work, then, take an angle grinder to the offending bars and redo only those. Check the foundation chapter for size and spacing of the rebar

DaveOrr

And instead of epoxy use Sika 212 non-shrink grout.
It actually expands as it cures and will lock the rebar in place.
My cabin uses post saddles grouted into 4 billion year old Canadian shield.
The stuff anchors it very well.
I used a 1" bit so lots of grout can get down in the hole to lock things in place.

You can see it at the base of this post.

Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

Dave Sparks

Sikka makes great products but I have decades of knowledge/experience on Dupont 5200 Marine polyurethane. The only way to get it out after its long cure is a blowtorch. It never gets real real hard but it is permanent. I hit a reef with it on my sailboat and my depth sounder sensor was damaged as was the hull but the 5200 seam held a 30 ton force from my boat.
"we go where the power lines don't"