Caban VS House (what defines occupancy)

Started by FrankInWI, July 18, 2007, 09:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

I have small country place I will build a home on and retire in a few years.  For now I have a camper on it.  No problem with the county / township regarding RV parked.  No trailer houses though!.  The pop up is getting ragged, the boys are growing.   We need space.  I can build a "cabana" as I have asked the county.  I didn't talk about use though other that the obvious with the name.  To be honest, that's were we would be moreso than in the camper.  I'd keep the camper up so that we can point to the porty potty as our bathroom, and so we can say we sleep there.   ;)We would really sleep in the cabana / shed, with it's loft.  
I'm looking at about 12 X 20 or some such configuration going a little over 200 sq ft.  Yep, no fee under 200, but fee over, but I figure we need the bit more space getting into the mid 200s.
:-/What I wonder is, what can we have in the cabana and still not have it defined as occupancy/housing.  
I imagine no plumbing, but I would think we could be able to have electric.  I wouldn't cook in there, we kind of do the summer kitchen thing outdoors.  I would think overnight sleeping would be prohibited too.
I'd sure appreicate some thoughts on this.  
The other option was to build a garage first and stay in that.  That would take a bit more $$, and a bit more planning, and would be a bit more permanent (vs. the cabana on skids).  
Hey...went to Habitat Store for first time yesterday.  Very interesting, and very tempting.  
Thanks!!
god helps those who help them selves

FrankInWI

Bye the way, I already bought John's 1 1/2 plans a few years back.  Will be going on slab cause of high ground water, etc.  Later though....
god helps those who help them selves

glenn kangiser

The little house plans cover the 12 wide - you can make the length anything you need to.

I hate anybody trying totell me what I can do on my land -- they likely won't succeed but I enfoy fighting with them.  See the first page of the Underground Cabin update for the sign I post so if they want to hassle me I will take them to small claims court to collect the $5000 per day or part thereof if they ignore my posted sign (multiple places).

That said -- they don't allow electric or plumbing here and only 120 Square Feet.  In our area many people who are out of general view, choose to ignore them.  Keep the neighbors happy -- keep the power company out.  It generally works.  Their next step here is sometimes to file a certificate of non-compliance against the title -- big wow-- so that if you sell, it is disclosed as being non-conforming.  I wonder If I can apply for one of those. ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.