Capping a Shed Roof

Started by blackdog, July 16, 2007, 10:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackdog

Hi everyone.

I'm building a small 8' x 6' storage shed with a 4/12 shed roof with 3 tab asphalt shingles, 6" overhang all around and 2" x 6" fascia.  What is the best/right way to cap the high side of the roof so water doesn't get under the shingles?  I was thinking of putting a drip edge under the shingles, over the shingles or just carefully folding the shingles over onto the fascia.

If I installed the drip edge under the shingles like one would normally do on the low side, water would run over the cap and under the shingles.  I'd need to add a generous bead of roofing sealant to the seam, plus any exposed nails on the cap and last row of shingles.

Installing the cap over the shingles, I wouldn't need to seal the seam.  I'd only have to apply sealant to any exposed nails.

Don't really like the idea of folding the shingle as I would think the would tend to crack.

After writing this, I think I've answered my own question - Installing the cap over the shingles seems to be the best route I can think of.

Anyhow, what's the best/right way to do this?  Thanks!!

glenn kangiser

That sounds like a good way to me. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

After writing this, I think I've answered my own question - Installing the cap over the shingles seems to be the best route I can think of.

Bingo , you can even over bend the metal so it fits snuggly if you cut a plumb cut on your rafters . BTW they sell screws with rubber gaskets on them for metal roofs they work great for the application your talking about.  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

blackdog

Thanks for your input guys.  I'll be sure to also add a few rubber gasket screws.