T&G Flooring for the ceiling?

Started by lonelytree, February 10, 2010, 03:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonelytree

I have a pallet of this subflooring material and would like input on cutting it in half for use on the ceiling.

It is 1 3/8 thick X 4 7/8 Usable X 12 foot long. I have about 720 sq feet of it. If I could almost double it, I could do my ceiling and other projects. What profile could/should I use? Shiplap or back to T&G?

I have basic tools, 10" table saw, router, sanders, etc. I can purchase some specialty tools if needed.

Problem, I don't have a surface planer. I may have access to a shaper.

Thanks for all inputs!!!!
Mike

poppy

Surely doesn't look like subflooring to me.  ???  Looks more like some nice T&G siding.

At any rate, I'm in your camp when it comes to maximizing available resources.

I would think that you would need a good band saw to slice this stuff and the resulting pieces could perhaps be used as is if the cut is on the center line of the existing T&G.  What is the thickness of the tongue?

Others on here can be more helpful than me and I await their answers because I'm thinking of doing a similar thing myself.  [waiting]

rick91351

Long time ago when I working in plainer mills that was called V'ed edge center match.  We also ran a pattern using 2 x 8 called called center V - V ed edge center match.  It had the same V only in the center of the solid board with the half out side V of course.  Very old pattern and was very popular in the cabins and mountain style homes build around here in the 60's and 70's.  Word of caution if using white fir for flooring like in a loft and you turns the v's down and expose them to the room below and the solid board up for the floor, try not to.  Try to find Douglas Fur for that, it well hold up much better.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

Well now that I read the rest of yours post  d*

If you want to make your own just purchase the amount of Tongue and Groove you need and a V router bit.  Or purchase http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2134 and make your own Tongue and Groove as well. 

If you want to try some of that center v - just set a guide to the side of board, set your depth and rout away
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.