Cost of a 20x30 1 1/2 story?

Started by willie1280, March 11, 2013, 10:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willie1280

Just trying to get a feel for material cost on building a 20x30 1 1/2 story based on the plans that can be purchased from this site?

If you could give me a basic idea of what you all used and the approxiamte cost that would be greatly appreciated.

Im mostly interested in the post/pier foundation, the framing, sheathing, exterior siding and roofing.  Basically everything but the interior.

Thanks
Matt

Squirl

I recently did a post on foundation costs.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12895.msg167960#msg167960

Maybe someone can help with the rest of the framing.  A lot will depend on the options you choose. (Example of siding choices: cedar, stucco, cement board, t1-11, vinyl, etc...)

willie1280

I know there are alot of variables, but if someone list out what the "shell" cost and what that included, i can add/subtract the differences to understand what the basics cost. 

I am leaning towards steel roof and vinyl or steel for siding.

bayview

My final cost, with me doing most of the work, on two projects was between $40 and $50 per sq ft.   Minus property, water, sewer, electrical service to the building.   On a slab foundation, 2' X 6" walls, Hardi siding and architectural shingles.   I contracted the slab and the sheetrock . . .

Landscaping and property work extra.

Cost has many variables.   Type of materials, constuction.  How much of the work you will do personally, etc. . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

itpdk9

lotta variables here, depends on so many different things. My build as soon as the weather breaks, is a 20x40 1 1/2 story and I am around 20000 in just materials.  I used the bid room from Lowes.  I saved a lot of money that way. Again, without specifics its tough.  Good luck, you are in the right place, as these guys on this forum know their stuff.

willie1280

mgramann

Did you order the materials list with the plans?  If so, you can send that to Menards in Antigo and they will put a price together for you.  Barb Rolling helped me with my project, and is fantastic to work with.

itpdk9

Quote from: willie1280 on March 12, 2013, 12:00:55 PM
Could i get more info on this?

We do not have Menards here, so I put together my material list and took it to both LOWES and HD contractor sales desk.  If you have anything over the total cost of $2500 you can submit the list.  It goes to their corporate office where they take your list and usually end up taking at least 10 percent off.  I got almost 18 percent off thru LOWES.  It is called the bid room at HD and Quote Support Program at LOWES.  I would definitely try both places as I always thought that HD prices were better, but through the contractor sales, LOWES killed them.  If you have any other questions let me know.  Oh and if you sign up for the Contractor Credit Card at LOWES you get shipping to your site for free for the first time then only
20 Dollars per time after that.  It is cheaper for them to deliver especially because they unload it by forks where you want it.  Can't beat it.  Good Luck.

willie1280

Quote from: itpdk9 on March 12, 2013, 12:44:58 PM
We do not have Menards here, so I put together my material list and took it to both LOWES and HD contractor sales desk.  If you have anything over the total cost of $2500 you can submit the list.  It goes to their corporate office where they take your list and usually end up taking at least 10 percent off.  I got almost 18 percent off thru LOWES.  It is called the bid room at HD and Quote Support Program at LOWES.  I would definitely try both places as I always thought that HD prices were better, but through the contractor sales, LOWES killed them.  If you have any other questions let me know.  Oh and if you sign up for the Contractor Credit Card at LOWES you get shipping to your site for free for the first time then only
20 Dollars per time after that.  It is cheaper for them to deliver especially because they unload it by forks where you want it.  Can't beat it.  Good Luck.

Do you need a business license in order to qualify for the "contractor" benefits?

itpdk9

No business license needed.  I was able to walk in and take advantage of the savings.  I am not a contractor nor do I have any kind of tax id number.

rick91351

Most any lumber yard will give you a contractor discount and do the plan 'take offs' if you buy the whole package there.  Nice thing about it once they get to know you and trust you, you just keep the contractor discounts for your other projects.  You know that shed you wanted or the tree house for the kids.   Try that at HD or ____.      But don't expect to get it if you are buying your OSB from Lowes and your sheetrock from HD and the lumber from Joe's Hardware and Building Supply.

So with the said I use lumber yards and mostly the same lumber yard and I get the same contractor discount there as a regular builder.  I will not give any business to the big box stores unless I have to.  I do compare pricing from time to time.  I get the best buys and the best lumber from my local lumber yard / hardware store.  Delivery of a 'house package' or large purchase is always free.  Even up to the ranch which is a 120 some miles round trip.  They seem to always happy to take it up there.

I bought a 1000 ft of 1.50 black ply pipe from them last year hardly what I would call a major purchase.  They picked it up from the wholesaler and dropped it off up there.  And that was with me telling them,  "Hey I'll haul it.  I'm going that way.  My flat bed is down here in the valley!"  The owner said he needed the drive up in to the mountains.  It does not matter if I am buying lumber for a lean-to shed or for my shop, or the house we are looking to build. I get the discount.  Am I a contractor?  Nope I am a retired locomotive  engineer but have bought a lot of stuff there.  And I try not to be a pain on the rear.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Steve_B

Willie... I went to painstaking details to figure out a budget for a 20 x 34 2 story house

Slab, framing, plumbing, electrical, siding all done by outside labor

$52,000 for 1360 square feet, or $38.23 a square foot and everyone tells me that is very very conservative in nature
It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

roadtripray

My take-off sheet that Lowe's did on my revised Builder's Cottage (14 X 28' rather than the 14' X 24' as designed) with a 12' deep loft area in the rear came to a pinch over $15,000.  That was including the block foundation, but of course that didn't include the poured footers.  That sheet also didn't include electrical, but that would be mostly minimal for that cottage  ~$500 or so for wiring and receptacles.

With the loft counted in the square footage I think the total square footage was 480 square feet, so that comes to about $31.25/sq ft.

Now I'm thinking a modified Victoria's, which with my changes comes to about 900 square feet.  I'm thinking that I can probably wind up with roughly the same price per square foot and come in at about $30,000. 

I know this isn't the home plan you asked for estimates on but it's probably useful for comparison sakes.

Peace,
Ray