Power setup help

Started by MNJon, April 18, 2012, 09:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

You can see the two copper bars in this picture.  I got the idea from MountainDon who's done a much prettier job of installing his (some day I'll clean mine up too but it works for now).

Huge29

On the batteries, as mentioned, the Kirkland brand from Costco are made by the same manufacturer as Interstate, DieHard, AutoZone's Duralast, Wal-Mart's Energizer and there other new brand???  they are all really good batteries made by Johnson Control; I would not use any other kind other than Optima at 4x the cost.  Another great source for batteries especially for this application is the used batteries from cell phone towers.  Most replace them annually even though they will last 5 years easily if not left dead for long periods of time.  There are towers everywhere owned, by local, national and regional companies, just to see if you can get a hold of them.  They usually use like the 4D or 8D batteries used in heavy equipment that are about the size of 3 normal batteries. 
Speaking of Costco, one location has occasionally carried the 3x5 industrial grade solar panels for only about $500, which I want to say was a 1kw output at a cost presumably way below retail. 
Speaking of Costco again, this may only be applicable for states located where Pacificorp is the power company, Utah to Washington for the most part, but CFL's only cost about $.50 each with their instant rebate program through Pacificorp.  At work, we use about 100 of the LED's that are 3 watts, multi LED that look good and save us tons of money, but the output is pathetic and the cost is ridiculous at $10 when you buy bulk.  At 18 months old, only one has been bad so far.