3 simple questions on a tiny cottage project

Started by Tommy, June 26, 2012, 10:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy

I'm getting a local shed builder to build a 12x16 cottage with lots of windows. I need to prepare the site/foundation and have gotten different opinions from different landscapers. Any help on any of the three questions from folks with real building experience would be greatly appreciated:

1) Foundation: The ground slopes about 1/10. One landscaper said he would build a retaining wall, add fill and then 4 or 8" of crushed stone. The builder's brochure suggest that the unit should go on a crushed stone base.  Another landscaper  suggested some simple piers with a lattice work to shut off the area left underneath to vermin. I sense the latter is less expensive and simpler. Do others agree and would I need to check with the builder about sufficient skid spacing and floor strength? Perhaps additional piers in the center of the structure would be in order.

2) Sleeping loft: The builder offers a 4' storage loft. I want to pay extra for a little extra height and expand the loft to 6 or 8 feet and add a rail and a ladder to make more of a sleeping loft. For a 12' span, I assume a support post in the middle under the outside edge beam would be in order. How would I figure what I need? There would be no dancing up there since the roof height will be a maximum of 4' or so.

3) Ventilation: Would an active roof fan be the best way to go along with a window at the level of the sleeping loft? The builder offers roof vents but this might make it too breezy. We are thinking of adding insulation too so that we can keep it cozy in the autumn.

4) Electricity: I'm looking into getting an electrical connection from my house to the mini-cottage but it seems near impossible to get an electrician out here for an estimate. The municipality says the tubing would need to be buried either 18" or 24" which might be cost prohibitive. I get sun for a good half day. Should I maybe get a solar panel to run the roof fan and a few lights and perhaps an electric heater? We might opt for a small wood heater too so that would make the electrical load much lighter.

thanks

Squirl

A solar panel will not be able to power an electric heater.  Depending upon how much sun you get and size of the panels, it might not power the lights for very long either.

John Raabe

For occasional heating you could use a small propane heater. Several people here have done small off-grid solar installations but they can be complex and often still need a generator for consistent lights, computer, refigerator, etc.

Your questions about structure should be answered by the shed builder. A skid foundation can work if you don't have any plumbing or wiring in the floor. It is in my Little House plans - http://goo.gl/mYJZ8 along with info on a small loft. Those plans are for a longer lasting building than most sheds, but more expensive to build I expect.
None of us are as smart as all of us.