Green wood pole curing

Started by Danly, May 12, 2013, 10:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danly

Hi all, Thanks for the great site. My property has a lot of overgrown Douglas Fir Xmas trees. I plan to use some for a 10' X 10' four pole Palapa. Yesterday I cut 4 that will get me 8" dia base and taper to 6" or 7" at the 11' top. I sealed the ends and stacked them on blocks on the concrete drive. The bark is very thin. They will be set in concrete to about 3' deep holes. I am thinking I will cut the tops at the rafter angle and square cut the 2 outsides just where the Fascia boards are nailed.

My questions: Do I need to cure before setting or just before cutting at the top to avoid twisting problems? Do I need to strip the bark below the concrete or the full length, do I strip before or after cure? Should I have shade for curing?

Thanks Dan

Danly

MountainDon

Remove bark now. If you don't the space under the bark is where the insects will start to attack. Covered to keep rain off but with space for air circulation. "Stickers" to hold the logs apart. Drying can take months. That's about what I know from reading and listening. Never done any building with logs/poles direct from trees,  as the thousands of trees I've cut over the years have all ended up as firewood. A soak or spray with a borate solution can keep the wood eating insects at bay.

I'm not sure what I would recommend about the end that's in the dirt/concrete. Insect damage and rot are a potential problem. I used PT timbers for my small pole barn.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Danly

Thanks Don, I kinda wanted the bark on look but it is very thin so I think I can strip it pretty easy. Right now it is stacked on wood blocks on a concrete pad with 1" spacers and the ends sealed. We won't get any rain here until October, until then the days are 90 to 105 and the nights are about 60.