Anyone building in Kentucky?

Started by Rusnakes, May 31, 2014, 09:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusnakes

Hi all.  We are planning on building a small house in Kentucky (Henry County) and I was curious about building permits, etc. down there.  I read online that Henry County defaults to the state for building permits (no certified building inspector...at least as of 2010) and only deals with zoning.  How do people go about getting a building permit from the state anyway then?  Very different than what happens here (SE Michigan).

I read on another thread here that someone said Kentucky had, in general, very strict plumbing rules/regs, but otherwise building was not heavily regulated (outside of the cities/municipalities like Louisville, etc.). 

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?  My parents have acreage there and we would like to build on a portion of their property (or buy a bit of land nearby).  They are close to Campbellsburg.  We'd like to build a small home that is off-grid (or close to it...compostable toilet, rainwater catchment for water supply, greywater system, solar and wind, propane for some appliances, etc.).  Curious if this is even possible there.

Thanks for your thoughts/ideas!

Emily