14x36 in Northwest Arkansas

Started by jdhen, August 06, 2009, 06:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhen

So, I read the post and I see that from the chart, 2-2x8's can span 3'10".  Now this is for a 20ft wide building, not 12 ft as mine will be but does that 8 ft difference allow it to span that much further? Did I explain adequately that similar to the picture I posted above from the book the floor joists will be running parallel to the 2-2x8's?  Not separately with the floor joists cantilevered perpendicular to the girder as shown in the girder span post.
You are correct in that the roof will be gabled bearing along the 16 ft long walls.  As far as the corner bracing, I was planning to have 32 inches between the end walls and the windows to attach my sheathing.  I could go a full panel but then the windows would be bunched into the middle and that might not look so good.  Isn't 3/4 of a ply panel sufficient to prevent racking?
Jesse

Don_P

I was really wanting you to read Mt Don's reply #4 on that thread to understand why I was hedging. The double 2x8's in #2 SYP are working for me but I'm no engineer. I'm reading your snow load as being 20 psf rather than the 30 in the table, you are supporting a roof and ceiling only (do use ceiling joists), that table is for roof, ceiling and 2 floors. The braced panels, if well nailed, sound sufficient to me off the top of my head, I'm still trying to understand the latest round of wall bracing myself.

jdhen

I understand now.  I'll do my best to header the weight over the posts. Thanks for your input, Don.
Jesse