still bummed

Started by muldoon, November 10, 2008, 11:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muldoon

I recently purchased an old rifle, a 1972 Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30.  Nice little lever gun, but it was filthy when I got it.  I don't think it had ever been properly broken down and cleaned.  After using break cleaner on the carbon buildup I added a scope and proceeded to see what it could do.  I had some trouble sighting it in last month because the scope wasn't seated properly and was bouncing around after a few shots.  Took it back home and re-seated the rings with some 220 sandpaper then locked those hex nuts down tight.  Seemed to be a good shooter after that.  Then, last time I took it out I had a misfire; only a single one out of 6 or 8 shots.  Didn't think much of it. 

Fast forward to this weekend, Friday night - looking at hogs - misfire, and they scattered off.  Saturday morning, big buck walks out while I am freezing my ass off.  Go to put the scope on him.  I didn't have a good rest where I was at but I felt good about the shot; pulled the triggered and click, no boom.  He spooks, and is looking at me nervously trying to figure out what that noise was.  I then ratchet the lever and dunk out falls the round, primer punched but it didn't fire.  Put a new round in and he is walking off.  Still without a decent rest, I rush the shot and flat miss him.  Spent about an hour looking and circling back.  No blood, no sign of him. 

Been bummed all weekend after that, just a gut wrenching letdown.  The nicest deer I have seen on my place since I bought it.  Would have been the first one shot there by me. 

After I got home I checked the marlin forums and it seems the 2-part firing pin can get gunked up on the 336 and cause this.  I hammered out the roundpins on the front and rear of the bolt and sure enough that seems to have been the problem as the firing pin moves freely now after being cleaned up.  Maybe next weekend I'll find out for sure.  I'm still a pretty bummed about the whole thing  :( 

peternap

Think of it this way, you found and fixed the problem.

Just use Ballistol on it from now on and you'll never have any more lube related problems.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

harry51

Think positive! If the hunting pressure isn't too heavy in your area, maybe you'll see him again.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Whitlock

You stated that the primer was punched. Might look into getting some different ammo.
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

ScottA

I had an old savage 270 that misfired. Turned out to be a weak firing pin spring.