3-D home architect deluxe 3.0 - Mini Tutorial

Started by macfield, July 14, 2006, 08:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macfield

Hello everybody,

My copy of 3-D home architect deluxe 3.0 came in the mail yesterday, I have looked over it.  And I have no idea how to use it.  The information on this site was of little help to me.  I was wondering if someone had a owner's manual.  I could buy.  The cabin.  I wish to build is a very simple shed roof, 16 foot wide, 32 foot long.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, macfield

Amanda_931

There's a tutorial

http://www.countryplans.com/3dha/index.html

But for a lot of things you just need to wander around until you "get it."  I'm not sure I've even figured out how to do a gable roof yet,.  But then, I'm planning something about like yours, but with weird porches. And I haven't done the tutorial.  Yet.

You can also try Sketch-up (from Google), but it doesn't help with the structure nearly as much as 3DHA

deertracks

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one frustrated with the software. The upside is that it didn't cost much. You basically just have to go to the help section with every move, but the directions are so "basic" that there's very little instruction there. Broderbund's site does offer a place to email questions and they will guide you which is what I plan to do about my dormers and roof as our cabin is 1.5 story. I'll let you know how that goes. All the inexpensive 3D stuff seems the same. Cheap and very little help (no manuals). I ordered the Bob Villa one and Floorplan 3D v. 8. Some newer furniture, but not any easier to use.

n74tg

I tried version 3 a year or two ago.  I consider myself pretty savvy when it comes to learning and using computer programs, but this one did nothing but frustrate me.   I tried another 3d Home Architect type program with same results; so I gave up on them.

I ended up drawing my house plans with an Excel spreadsheet.  If you're interested, see the "New Program by Broderbund" post in the Referral Links section of the forum.  

jraabe

OK folks. 3DHA is pretty easy to use once you get the basics down. Here is a quick tutorial for a simple 16' wide cottage. Get your outside walls and roof built the way you want them before doing interior walls, windows, etc.

Start with the box.

Note that I double clicked on the floor area label and changed it to a smaller font and First Floor.

Now, 3DHA will draw a hip roof if you "build roof" on this design. We need to tell the program which walls are gable ends.

After that we go to the build menu and build the roof.

Let's see what it looks like in perspective.

Now go back in and place windows, doors etc.

deertracks

Thanks John... That's exactly the manual we all have been dreaming of. It really isn't a hard program, but a small, brief manual would be great. I like to sit away from the computer, read the manual over and digest it before trying each step. The basic is help is a pain in the ****. I'm excited to get rid of my two pyramid roofs!!!

jraabe

I'm glad if that little bit helps. There is a pretty good paper manual that was done for the boxed set of the program. I have a copy. It is not included in the CD program however. I'd forgotten how helpful that was and what a bad job the help system does. It is really just a list of the menus and tools.

Here is a copy of the version 4 manual. The main program icons and way it works are pretty similar. You can usually figure out the differences. Version 4 has some pretty worthless wizards and ray traced graphic elements for siding and wall finish but most folks turned this off and went back to the solid colors of version 3. I couldn't find this manual for version 3.

Go here: http://support.broderbund.com/download_desc.asp?dlid=421. Work you way through the menus and agreement until you get to the download button. Click this and then be patient. It will download the whole book into the Adobe Reader at which point you will be able to save to your hard drive. (If you don't have Adobe Reader get this free program installed first.)

Go to chapter 3, cabin design tutorial.

I feel the roof should be put on earlier in the project than they advise. If you screw up just one ceiling height over one room it can mess the roof up.

Finally, if you have problems installing the program check out this section of the Broderbund support area. http://support.broderbund.com/techtipos.asp?osid=13

macfield

Hello everybody...... Thank you Amanda for your suggestion to keep playing a round with the software.  It worked, thank you John for the mini-tutorial that was awesome.  It answered most of my questions if you have the time could you do another one using a shed roof as the example, make the lower wall 10 foot, the higher wall.  14 foot, with a 4/12 pitch.  Thanks Macfield