Main Menu

Recent posts

Referral Links / Re: Medeek Project Plugin
Last post by Medeek - Yesterday at 11:52:20 PM
Version 1.0.7 - 02.08.2023
- Added optional labels (x-axis and/or y-axis) for major grid lines within the Grid Tool.

This additional feature per customer request.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - February 07, 2023, 09:50:42 PM
Version 3.1.2b - 02.07.2023
- Fixed a minor bug with the Wall Selector Matrix (Gable, Shed and Hip walls).

This bug was due to some consolidation and general house cleaning I did with the code a few cycles back.  Even when a gable wall was selected it would automatically revert to a rectangular wall.  I just noticed this yesterday but the bug probably has been around for at least a month.
Referral Links / Re: Medeek Project Plugin
Last post by Medeek - February 06, 2023, 08:38:02 PM
Version 1.0.6 - 02.06.2023
- Fixed a bug with the Title Block Tool.
General Forum / Re: OFF GRID POWER; various th...
Last post by MountainDon - February 06, 2023, 01:38:11 PM
Quote from: DavidRaftery on February 06, 2023, 11:35:53 AMCaution: Do not feed the output from the GFCI receptacle to a Panel Board / Load Center where the Neutral is bonded to the Earth Ground. This will trip the GFCI."

That's good. Some inverters simply go "Phffft" and stop working forever.
Last post by OlJarhead - February 06, 2023, 12:56:22 PM
Costco tends be lower.  8 years ago I bought my 220ah GCBs at $89ea plus core....they now have 210ah GCBs ar $105ea

But I want more reserve...even 59AH more would be better...235s give me 45AH more at 24v so I'm looking at those but if I could bump that another 50 plus without spending $10k I'd do it
Last post by DavidRaftery - February 06, 2023, 11:59:31 AM
Quote from: OlJarhead on February 05, 2023, 12:27:32 PMWhat's everyone's thoughts on increasing my 660AH 24vdc battery bank without drastically increasing the cost?

Don't want to add more batteries (Have 12 GCB's now @220AH ea) nor weight (816lbs now) but could use more AH's of course.

Lithium seems too much $$$ and needs to be warm to charge (not gonna charge em at 0F for example)....AGM's also seem pretty spendy (I may go that rought) but I can afford more than the $105ea for GCB's at Costco that are 210AH (used to have the 220's but they moved down to 210s for some reason).

Thanks in advance.

Cheap bastard that I am, I went with GCB's. I asked my Jeep mechanic and he got them for me at wholesale. I bought 4 Interstate GCB's 224 AH for $132 ea, with $20 core charge, 58 lbs each. I think that was 3 years ago. I hope the prices have not increased too much because I am thinking of buying another 4 of the GCB's.
Dave
Last post by DavidRaftery - February 06, 2023, 11:35:53 AM
Quote from: MountainDon on February 02, 2023, 08:23:24 PMIt depends on whether or not the inverter has a bonded neutral or a floating neutral. If it has a bonded neutral then there should not be a second bond in the service panel. You can use one of these 3 led testers to check... Plug the tester into the inverter receptacle and see if the 2 "correct" lights illuminate. That would mean the inverter has a bonded neutral.  That tester can also be used on a generator test and of course your home.

The service panel usually has a green screw inserted into the neutral buss, which will connect to the ground thru the metal case. Remove it to remove the neutral bonding; insert to bond.

I have seen an inverter be ruined by connection to a system with a service panel neutral bond.
Hi Don,

Thank you for the information on bonding and the testers

I looked in my Samlex user manual and it says the neutral is internally bonded to the metal chassis of the inverter. The inverter has an internal GFCI which monitors the current flow. (When in doubt, read the manual !) From the manual:

"The AC output of this inverter is available through a NEMA5-20R Self Monitoring GFCI Duplex Receptacle. The Neutral slot of this receptacle (longer rectangular slot) is internally bonded to the metal chassis of the inverter.

GFCI Tripping and Reset: If there is a leakage of 5 to 6mA due to ground fault on the load side or there is a Neutral to Ground bond on the load side, the GFCI will trip.

Caution: Do not feed the output from the GFCI receptacle to a Panel Board / Load Center where the Neutral is bonded to the Earth Ground. This will trip the GFCI."

I will definitely pick up one of those testers to double check my wiring.
Thanks again,
Dave
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
Last post by Medeek - February 06, 2023, 05:04:01 AM
Version 3.2.3 - 02.06.2023
- Fixed an infinite loop bug for (full) roof returns on truss roofs.
- Updated the subtract feature to include roof return rafters and gutter downspouts for truss roofs.

Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - February 05, 2023, 11:22:06 PM
Version 3.1.2 - 02.05.2023
- Fixed a bug with metric templates that propagated from Version 3.0.8.
- Fixed a specific bug with auto-loading wall presets.

! ATTENTION !
Critical bug fix, especially for metric templates.  I highly recommend upgrading to Version 3.1.2 if you have installed Version 3.0.8 or later.

The auto-load bug has to do with enabling the auto-load preset option in the Global Settings and then subsequently deleting the preset that was selected as the default auto-load preset.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - February 05, 2023, 11:16:49 PM
https://youtu.be/q-C9zYsk0yw

Meanwhile I finally got the jeep out for a little wheeling