Recent posts

Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - May 01, 2022, 01:20:15 PM
Very helpful and informative video put together by Braden York on integrating Quantifier Pro and the Wall plugin:

https://youtu.be/GWnwib94lSI
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
Last post by MountainDon - May 01, 2022, 04:59:05 AM
My first thought was about how much the aluminum would be worth at the scrap metal dealer. Then my sister in law saw the above picture and said it looks like wall art.

Yeah, we are happy we took time and effort to thin and to keep picking up fallen branches and rake up pine needles every spring from around the cabin area. We have done that every spring. In my recollection there has never been a serious fire here this early in the year. We usually rake about now and are done by mid to end of May. We were getting ready to do that.

So there was only one years worth of needle debris on the ground. They come off over the winter. We think the needles on the ground allowed creeping fire to get to the base of the shed and gazebo walls. The sheds were all metal walled and roofed but with a strong wind there were small gaps that could have neen ignition points. Tha gazebo was tinder. On the cabin I covered the underside of the floor with metal too.  We had timbers laid in places on the ground with the intent to slow rain water flow. That seemed to slow the ground fore in many places which was a side benefit.

Cleanup vomes next, once the forest opens again. It is still considered an active fire zone.
Last post by Don_P - April 30, 2022, 05:42:55 PM
Oh my! I am sorry.
Your work clearing paid off. It looks like the trees might make it.
When we were cleaning up after a fire several years ago I was scraping with the bobcat trying to get broken glass and globs of aluminum when someone yelled Stop! The owner came over and looked at the glob of metal and determined it was right about where the drawer was with his grandmothers silverware.
Off Topic - Ideas, humor, inspiration / Re: Walden Pond
Last post by maggiethecat - April 30, 2022, 03:27:47 PM
Quote from: Don_P on October 25, 2009, 04:55:56 AMThat place is special to me. My Dad tells stories of an interesting man that you might enjoy researching, Roland Wells Robbins, an amatuer archeologists/ historian/ painter/ follower of Thoreau's teachings, the man who discovered the original cabin site. My Dad reconstructed Thoreau's 10x15 cabin in an apple orchard in Robbin's back yard a few miles from Walden Pond in the early '60's. It was as accurate as Robbins could make it from buying the nails from the same manufacturer, to hewing the timbers and shingling with hatchets. They incorporated a brick from the 1945 excavation in the chimney of the reproduction and a member of Thoreau's family donated a writing desk to grace the finished product. There was a small woodshed out back in the photo I have, I believe I see the edge of it in the video, maybe wishful thinking.

I've enjoyed Thoreau's writings through the years although like so many, this son of a pencil maker was certainly very human. Thoreau's adventure was sparked by his friend Emerson's work "Self Reliance". He later repaid his friend by having an affair with his wife. It is sometimes said of him that he enjoyed setting himself up in experiences and then recording the reverberations of those actions, not paying taxes, launching himself down rivers, moving to Walden. "It is a vulgar error to suppose you have tasted huckleberries having never plucked them"
I'm sorry, but it is not official that he had an affair with Mrs. Emerson, LOL! In fact it seems as if he was extremely uninterested in such pursuits!
Last post by MountainDon - April 30, 2022, 01:43:01 PM
Another year, another fire... with others in between 2017 and today.

Last Friday, the 22nd, a fire started 1 mile south of us. The winds were exceptionally high that day, with gusts recorded to 62 mph. By some combination of hard work spent thinning trees, removing ground clutter and maintaining a more or less clear ground area around the cabin and plain dumb luck and good fortune, our cabin did not burn. Pretty amazing!  The two sheds burnt as did the screened gazebo. The fire was hot enough to melt the chiminea in the gazebo. A couple of other cabins on neighboring lots burnt to the ground. Going by the pictures we were sent the fire was on the ground and did not jump to the tree tops. We cannot go for a look ourselves as the area is still considered an active fire. Overnight it grew from 7,000 acres to 15,000 as it moved eastwards away from our location.

By some strange coincidence, after much thought, Karen and I had decided that very morning that we would list the property for sale. At 3:30 in the afternoon the fire broke out. It is now over 7000 acres and still burning. Poor timing. The market is so hot right now it would have likely sold within days.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

03-sml.jpg

General Forum / Re: Garage Ideas
Last post by Don_P - April 29, 2022, 06:51:30 PM
Having just poured 2 and staring at a third, get the power trowel! My arms were screaming after the first one. I sent everyone home after placing and did the second myself with the power trowel. Yes if he is close and sawing, and can do 22', get him to make a nice straight screed and go full width. You will need a couple of guys with rakes tending that long screed, that's 4 minimum. Rent a bull float as well and used it immediately behind the screed then get off it till the bleed water evaporates and it can take the power trowel.

I was using some poplar framing we sawed today. With plywood prices we're doing diagonal board sheathing. Basically higher grades, if not siding or trim, down to #2 is framing. If a log opens up ugly we start sawing 1x sheathing. A roof allows a minimum of #3 sheathing, a wall can use as low as #4. We tend to be more like a grade above each category and #4 is kindling but that gives an idea of a potential log sort and uses.

You bring up a good point. A prescriptive foundation is based on frost heave potential, as is a frost protected. If someone is in a gravel pit or obvious no frost heave potential, depending on frost depth locally, it may be worth having a geotech look at it in terms of a shallower foundation.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - April 28, 2022, 05:12:44 PM
Version 2.8.6 - 04.28.2022
- Added the CMU CORE framing mode for concrete block wall construction that includes sheathing, cladding and gypsum.

I've had quite a few requests recently for a CMU option that also included all of the sheathing and cladding options.  This new update hopefully addresses that need.
Referral Links / Re: Foundation Plugin for Sket...
Last post by Medeek - April 28, 2022, 10:01:51 AM
So I drew this with the column and new grade beam module:

My oldest son then asked me, "What is it?"

My answer was, "I don't know, it's whatever you want it to be."
General Forum / Re: Garage Ideas
Last post by NathanS - April 28, 2022, 06:52:10 AM
  :D

That little tractor-backhoe can dig! Some final checks and then hoping to backfill before rain on Monday.

There is an exception in the code for "ancillary structures" that allows a 600 sq ft slab without frost protection. Well, by removing all the expansive soil and backfilling with clean round stone I have eliminated 2 of the 3 requirements for heave. But it's not in the code, so it's not real!  d*

I am really tempted to try to pour the slab with my wife and dad. I was looking at some YouTube's ;) and a super plasticizer appears to take the backbreaking aspect out of it. I wonder if I screwed a few boards together we could screed the whole 20' width at once or better to do 10-12' widths at a time? Anyone want to talk me out of it? My neighbor is cutting all my framing lumber and offered to help, he has done a few slabs and wants me to rent a power trowel.

The plan is a 20x30 main area slab with no posts in the middle, 16' wide garage door (portal framed), 2' of block and then 8' framing for 10' ceilings. Both sides are getting 10' wide lean-tos. I am orienting the ridge mostly East-West with the idea that we will put solar panels on it for a grid-tie with battery backup system. Can't bring myself to put panels on the standing seam main house.
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
Last post by Medeek - April 27, 2022, 05:16:14 PM
Version 3.1.4 - 04.27.2022
- Fixed a minor bug with the advanced options for scissor trusses.
- Updated the scissor truss module so that raised heel trusses are properly rendered/drawn.