Main Menu

Recent posts

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by dragonslayer82 - September 21, 2022, 11:13:07 PM
You might have to PM me, it's telling me I'm not allowed to
Last post by OlJarhead - September 21, 2022, 07:29:23 AM
HI,

Welcome to the neighborhood....it's rare I see it over 100 but maybe I'm higher up?  Usually 90's in August is about what we see...and not uncommon to see 40's overnight at the same time ;)  But it is an arid pine forest in the Okanogan :D

Permits....ya, well, PM me ;)  Cheers!
Last post by dragonslayer82 - September 20, 2022, 09:06:59 PM
Long time lurker, took the plunge on the property and spent the summer in Aeneas Valley. I love the north winds out of the valley that push the temperature over 102 on some days/weeks.

Building permits for the house are awaiting a well; we already made our deposit for a driller, but the dates have moved from summer to Fall, and now winter. Others are saying maybe four years as of last week.

Anyhow not sure where to ask but here I go:
1) What size of a building actually requires a building permit. Some things say 120sqft, others say 200sqft. Nothing in Okenagon Building Department site makes this clear unless I talk to them (which I want to avoid to stay off the radar).
2) What does the health department have against bulk water delivery to private residences? The experience/phone/emails was less then warm, yet the building department has told others that the state allows water delivery for a building permit, and if they can find a delivery company that would suffice.
3) Is it a mistake to live off grid while awaiting well/permits for a house? Need a better structure then the RV for winter.
General Forum / Re: I don't understand T&G she...
Last post by Troyy108 - September 20, 2022, 08:30:34 PM
Quote from: MushCreek on July 15, 2011, 06:21:19 PM....plywood, specifically. As long as I've been alive, most building materials are based around 48" wide sheets, or things that divide evenly into it- 12", 16", 24". Along comes T&G sheathing, and it only measures 47-1/2". How are you suppose to compensate for that? Make your building a little smaller, and space joists on 15.8125" centers? I went to a lot of trouble to try to work with standard sheet goods, and now I don't know what to do about floor sheathing. Seems like T&G is a good idea, but......
For real bro I framed my platform exactly 12'x16' with 2x8 joists running the 16'. Put a drop beam in the middle to support it. Reason being I had a bunch of extra 2x8x16s and am building a shed with them. Then went and picked up the T&G subfloor running it perpendicular to my joists. So it was an 8' piece followed by a 4' piece then staggered it on the next run. My frame was exactly 16' I carefully planned that but I get to the end and I'm 2" short. I saw some extremely rude comments on some other sites saying we should've planned for this instead of blaming the material. **** that I say! How about mill some damn plywood to 48½" so when they cut the tongue and groove, the piece ends up 48" wide! I actually called my very experienced framer buddy and he said he never realized it was like that. Stupid if you ask me. I guess they just always cut their plywood 4x8  no matter whether they make it T&G or not
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - September 15, 2022, 09:42:06 PM
Version 3.0.4 - 09.15.2022
- Added XPS foam insulation as a built-in cavity insulation option.
- Added XPS foam insulation as a built-in sheathing option.

In the material folder I've also included a zero-border version that can be utilized as a custom material.
General Forum / Re: Solar System. Upgrade or a...
Last post by Cassy0110 - September 15, 2022, 09:40:43 PM
I have solar panels and also recommend to purchase to them SereneLife SLSPG20 Portable Generator https://houseandbeyond.org/best-solar-generator/ I set it up and ran it to see how many nights i could get on a single charge and how long it would take to recharge it using solar panels (I have a portable 120W solar panel). Much to my surprise, this battery lasted the entire week.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20x30 in NE Wisconsin
Last post by jsahara24 - September 15, 2022, 08:28:26 AM
I hear you on the 2nd/3rd year stall.....first year is nonstop work and life always seems to get in the way...

But it sounds like you've been progressing pretty nicely...

As for the insurance companies, in my experience it seems like they ignore you for a long time and then one day decide to throw a fit....but I've found it pretty easy to address their concerns and keep the policy active....
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20x30 in NE Wisconsin
Last post by Nate R - September 13, 2022, 07:30:33 AM
I need to update here, I've fallen behind a bit. Been "resting" more this year, to try and recover a bit from the huge amount of work on the cabin and house the last couple years. Also started a new position at my company in April that's kept me busier.... Haven't spent any long stretches at the cabin doing work, but getting things done about every other weekend.

Since March update:
Finished installing drywall on the bedroom ceiling and started on the bedroom walls.
Got rid of a bunch of construction debris and garbage.
Installed a ceiling fan on our porch outside.
Installed range hood fan in the wall.
Some various electrical work to get a few things working.
Put up a metal structure to be our firewood shed and outdoor shower area.
Prepped and finished some old barn beams we had (about 6x6 size), and installed blocking support and then the beams in the bedroom.
Got materials for and installed a roof structure ("portico") over our entry door.
Removed our broken and crappy foundation insulation covering and the old insulation. Installed new, prefinished foundation insulation around the slab.
Got exterior trim delivered, and started painting the band board/belly board.
Installed most of the band board.
Got some firewood delivered and stacked up. Cleaned the chimney for the season.

Ordered kitchen cabinets and soapstone countertop, but then the insurance company told me I needed to get the exterior done by the renewal date... That changed priorities! Wish they had said that BEFORE I put the money towards cabinets and countertop. 
d*

Work on the exterior continues in earnest soon!

So that's what I've been up to, slower but steady progress.... I'll put a post together with pics soon.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - September 12, 2022, 09:39:49 PM
Version 3.0.3 - 09.12.2022
- Reorganized the door draw and edit menus to include an annotations section.
- Added a "door swing angle" parameter for single and double doors.
- Added the door swing angle parameter to the Door tab of the global settings.

The preset angles are: 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 135.  The door swing angle for the door symbol can be set on a per door basis and can also be set to a default value within the global settings.  This update per customer request.
Last post by OlJarhead - September 07, 2022, 06:30:57 PM
And we finally got the tractor out so we can get the 4wd fixed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUqfQ-llDak

When we return we will be adding a SureFLo RV style pump to the water system with a small pressure tank to increase pressure a bit.  We've lived with it at the low end of 20lbs (maybe a tad more) for a long long time but decided it was time to improve things a little.

With the pump, pressure tank and a strainer in place I hope to actually have the kind of pressure to keep the hot water going when the cold gets turned on ;)  No more 'exciting' showers where it gets scalding hot then suddenly freezing cold!  We hope anyway.

If it works, we're golden, if not then we'll get a new Hot water heater as maybe the el cheapo Mary heater was just, well, too cheap.
Cheers