Question on site built trusses for 20 x 30 1-1/2

Started by Sourdo, August 11, 2010, 10:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sourdo

Howdy-

In the plans for building trusses is the statement: "Interior 2x6 is sistered to truss after roof is on. Notch o/ plates and provide tie gussets. Glue and nail to truss and ceiling gussets."

This doesn't make sense to install the trusses and roof before the interior 2x6, without that piece what's the truss to sit on when setting on the wall?

I need some explanation for this statement.

Thanks

Russ

John Raabe

Russ:

Notice the Wall & Eave detail in the lower right corner of Sht. 6 of the plans. The outside rafter is not notched over the plate but is connected to the plate with the H-10 bracket which is also nailed to the blocking. This is, of course, a temporary condition as the interior rafter is notched over the plate and then welded to the outer rafter by the gusset plates. This was done to reduce the weight of the initial lift of the site built truss and to make it easier to build the roof in stages. Some folks have also added a third gusset at the top plate connection to further unite the two rafters.

The truss could also be fully completed on the subfloor and then lifted and dropped down over the top plates.

You might also want to explore roof top delivery of manufactured trusses if you have a local truss supplier.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sourdo

Thanks for the info.

Now I get it, it's all to make assembly easier. I missed that completely. The term "lifting weight" was lost on me.

I can see trying to line up the trusses without the interior 2x6 would be extra work. It may be easier to build them complete and rent the boom truck to set them.

Thanks