foundation?

Started by spaceman, March 26, 2010, 06:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceman

Hello, newbie here, i am thinking of building a 10x14 shed style cabin.
Is is possible to use patio stones (2x3') the deck blocks on top for a "floating Foundation?  it will be in the woods, the ground can be damp and is located in a colder climate.  Can i do this and adjust if there is shifting or should i buck up and get the auger going....if so how many piers would i need?  Thanks in advance, Spaceman

MountainDon

w*

When you say colder climate am I correct in assuming that means cold as in the ground freezes? That can be a problem. If the ground contains much expansive clay that can also be a problem.

Do you have a plan set to build from or is this 'off the cuff'? John's Little House plan set includes a 10 x 14 cabin.

Also are there any permits, codes or inspections to be concerned about?

My experience with buildings that sit on the ground, rather than having a foundation that reaches below frost level indicates that there are some "depends" on whether or not you will be content with the result. When winter sets in at our mountain property the shed which sits on the ground on 6x6 PT timber 'skids' develops problems with the door. The door binds a little, not bad enough to be unusable, but it does require adjustment to keep it's movement free. So if your climate includes months of freezing weather and frozen ground, and if you will be using the cabin during that time, that is a factor to consider. When the ground warms our shed pretty much returns to where it was prior to the winter.

Our cabin and gazebo, which have foundation footings that reach well below expected frost levels, have had absolutely no signs of movement. Door and windows work smoothly all year round.

So, in my opinion, what will work for your depends on what you expect of the building. If possible door and window binding would bother you, go with a proper below frost footing or a frost free design.

If you decide to use a pier and beam foundation you could use three to four piers per 14 foot side, depending on what size beam is used and the soil type.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.