Retaining Wall Build Diary

Started by Bobmarlon, March 28, 2010, 07:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmarlon

Hey everybody I started snapping some pictures of projects were working on at work.  I thought this project build could be useful to anyone who wants to build a full basement, crawl space or a retaining wall.  We are building a retaining wall that will be exposed in certain areas and will be scribed right to bed rock.  This is just how we do this I'm not stating it is the best way.

After Excavating you will need to remove all the roots that our in your way some trees may need to come down.  If you really don't want to remove some roots you could form over the roots if you had to.   You need to run a string line and use a plumb bob or level to mark lines on to the rock.  Ounce you have your marks you need to attach 2X4 plates to the rock you could use wire nails but we used coil anchors there stronger and reusable we used 2 on each 2X4.  these 2X4s do not need to be flat make sure that the edge of the 2X4 that protrudes the furthest towards the inside is on the line.  If your bedrock is as wonky as ours it will look strange but when you sight down your line you be able to see that its straight. 

3/8th coil anchor

There are three parts to the coil anchor The bolt the washer and the coil.  We like to spend a bit of time and pre assemble all our anchors before we start by simply finger twisting the coil on the bottom and sliding the washer on, this way your ready to go.   

To find the other plate simply measure over off of  plumb in our case we our building an 8" wall so we our going 9 1/2' leaving room for the 3/4 inch ply.  Then drill your hole with a 3/8th bit in a hammer drill. 

Hammer down the coil anchor til there is about a 1/4" of the shank left exposed

Then crank it tight with a wrench 

Repeat this process till you have all your plates in place if you have a corner just use 3 4 5 with a large 2X4 to find a corner.  You should be left with something like this.

glenn kangiser

Cool, Bill.  Thanks. 

I have seen some roots if still growing, break concrete sidewalks.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.