Stimulus Money at Work

Started by MountainDon, March 16, 2009, 01:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

The City of Albuquerque across the river is receiving some stimulus money from the Feds. They using about $11 million to buy new buses for the ABQ public bus system.

So ABQ will be getting new buses and New Flyer Industries will be making them stimulating the economy by making work for the assembly line workers and the workers that supply components ans raw materials. I guess that's fine.

Except New Flyer Industries is headquartered in my old home town of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. OK, sure they do have 2 assembly plants in Minnesota. Anyhow we're going to help a Canadian companies profits, while doing at least some of the actual work here. It's legal according to the way the stimulus rules were written. Just a curious twist.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

I would imagine there will be quite a bit of this thing happening . . . Since most of our products are imported.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

fishing_guy

Quote from: MountainDon on March 16, 2009, 01:25:08 PM

Except New Flyer Industries is headquartered in my old home town of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. OK, sure they do have 2 assembly plants in Minnesota. Anyhow we're going to help a Canadian companies profits, while doing at least some of the actual work here. It's legal according to the way the stimulus rules were written. Just a curious twist.
MD,

Your money is good here in Minnesota.  We appreciate it! ;)
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.