Started by UK4X4, September 30, 2011, 09:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

This is our first location where we've be thrown into an apartment block

There is a small speed hump in the road outside the building

we live on the 4th floor and the 5th above is our terrace

when any large truck hits the 4" high speed bump

the building wobbles

to the point that the computer screen moves and any cupboard door open moves backwards and forwards with the building movement

We have previously questioned a large split picture window as the center join has no support- just silicone- we were told it was like that for earthquake reasons

How much movement is normal in a concrete building ?

We've only ever lived in houses -wobble less

MountainDon

:o

I think that is unusual. None of the buildings I've ever lived or worked in ever did something like that.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Especially one that is only 4-5 stories tall.... :-\  I have been in a skyscraper in Houston once that I could feel moving, but have not been in a home or apartment building of that size that moved much at all.  My inlaws live in an apartment building in Seoul, where earthquakes are fairly possible, and I can't feel any motion at all in their fourth floor apartment (only one floor above them, too.)  This structure sits perched on the edge of a hill, both above and below other similar buildings.   I think it would concern me.