Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Referral Links / Re: Foundation Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on Today at 04:31:38 AM »
Now that I'm on the subject of windows it may also be useful to add in some sort of window well feature:

Window Well Options:

Type: Steel
Shape: Rectangle, Arc, Trapezoid
Width:
Projection:
Depth:
Radius:
Vertical Offset:
« Last post by Medeek on Yesterday at 02:21:41 PM »
I've been thinking about adding in a Door and Window module to the polyline stemwalls.  However, I'm not very familiar with what is common practice as far window and door bucks go.

Any feedback or drawings/details would be greatly appreciated.

« Last post by Medeek on Yesterday at 09:09:57 AM »
Version 1.7.7 - 09.18.2021
- Added an ICF option for stemwall steps.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: KS Flint Hills 20x30 1.5 story
« Last post by Don_P on Yesterday at 03:13:40 AM »
Things slow down when your feet leave the ground. I prefer soffit and ridge venting. Gable vents will vent and dry the upper "attic" zone but those lower areas will be stagnant.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on September 15, 2021, 03:10:46 AM »
I've been giving the "wall sandwich" thing some serious thought the last couple of days and I think I can implement a workable system however it will drastically change the way I am currently doing things as well as break any sort of backwards compatibility with previous versions of the plugin and their models.

In the global settings I will probably have a select number of options you can choose from to build your custom wall sandwich (I will also have some standard ones pre-defined).  Interior and Exterior walls will be different in that you cannot use wainscot and cladding with interior walls.  Interior walls can be asymmetric with this new system so you can have different layers specified on each sides of the wall, unlike the current system which limits interior walls to symmetric configurations only.

Exterior Walls:

Ext. Side:

- Wainscot
- Cladding 1
- Cladding 2
- Airgap 1, 2, 3 etc...
- Sheathing 1
- Sheathing 2
- Insul 1

Int. Side:

- Gypsum 1
- Gypsum 2
- Gypsum 3
- Airgap 1,2, 3 etc...
- Sheathing 1
- Sheathing 2
- Insul 1

Interior Walls:

Ext. Side:

- Gypsum 1
- Gypsum 2
- Gypsum 3
- Airgap 1,2, 3 etc...
- Sheathing 1
- Sheathing 2
- Insul 1

Int. Side:

- Gypsum 1
- Gypsum 2
- Gypsum 3
- Airgap 1,2, 3 etc...
- Sheathing 1
- Sheathing 2
- Insul 1

The actual layering can be in any order except for wainscot which will always be the outermost layer on an ext. wall.  I'm not sure that two layers of cladding are really needed for an ext. wall but I'm just throwing it out there for now and see what sticks.

As far as the framing/wall solid is concerned I only plan on having one layer for framing, if I were to change that up to a variable number of framing layers things would get very complicated with regards to corner configurations so it is best to not get too ambitious.

The items shown are all of the possible layers for each side of the wall in question, one could theoretically enable all of them or none of them, and the number of air gaps is probably not limited.

Am I missing anything?  Thoughts? 

Your feedback now is important, once I install/implement a new wall sandwich system it will be more difficult to fundamentally change it from the form it originally takes.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on September 15, 2021, 02:13:54 AM »
Matt Donley did a great job on putting this video together.  A concise but very informative presentation:

« Last post by Medeek on September 14, 2021, 08:54:28 AM »
Version 1.7.6 - 09.14.2021
- Added an ICF option for polyline stemwalls.
- Added an ICF layer in the Global Settings under the "Layers" tab.
- Fixed a critical bug with custom materials that was caused by the change in the location of the plugin's data sub-folder.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/0a683d20-7115-491b-afc6-3578f584c5ae/ICF-Stemwall-Foundation
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Garage Apartment at Redoverfarm
« Last post by Redoverfarm on September 13, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »
Well it appears that I have neglected this project from posting. Actually I have been intermittently working on it.  I have used cabinets that have been repainted and installed.  Only lowers as the attic truss prevented any walL or uppers.  I ordered countertops from a local lumberyard/hardware store.  After a 10 week😳 wait I found out that the miter cut joining the bar to the cabinet section was misfit.  Since the bar was 20” and the regular top was 25-1/2” a standard 45 deg wouldn’t work.  They knew it was a different angle cut.  When I dry fitted one piece was the correct but someone cutting the counter cut 45 deg.  Needless to say there was a 3” gap on the outside corner.  They picked it up and another 4 weeks it came correct.  But low and behold they shorted a 30” stand alone cabinet countertop .  Another 2 weeks.  With everything needing done here I might just wait until the weather shuts down outside before working in the apartment.

The bathroom is finished but until I get the countertops mounted I can’t finish the kitchen sink.  I still have to connect the main sewer line to the main house.  Better wait until a day alone without anyone needing the main house plumbing.  The hot water heater is installed and electric attached. 

Still using the temporary stairs.  Need to make another tread and riser for a complete cherry stairs.  The skirt boards will have to be planned, cut and joined.

Hey I’m closer than I was when I started.😎
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Dogtrot at Hightop
« Last post by MountainDon on September 13, 2021, 02:33:31 PM »
Hi John!  Good to see you. Sorry to hear about your Mom not being able to live on her own anymore.

Karen and I doing well. Retired sooner than we had planned. I feel about the same about firewood as the main source of heat. It is work no matter how one looks at it.  I do have enough for at least two winters at present, even if I don't count the 78 foot tall, 16" dia. pine the wind unexpected blew over.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Dogtrot at Hightop
« Last post by Redoverfarm on September 13, 2021, 02:25:01 PM »
I know it has been ages since I posted.  There are a lot of reasons so I will not bore you with all the details.

As some might remember approximately 10 years ago I moved my parents closer to me. I think I posted pictures of the house .  Since that time my dad of 87 years passed some 3 years ago.  My mother being the same age now has been suffering from Dementia.  In the recent months it has progressed to the point it was not safe to leave her living alone.  It was decided by myself and my sister that she move in with my sister. An addition was added to her house to accommodate her later but proved to be a wise investment which is now proving to be reality.  This move became permanent last fall.

This brings me to the point that today we turned her house over to the new owners.  Wild three weeks sorting, packing the usual assorted cludder of those 87 years.  Some of which included approximately 100 dozen canning jars.  20 dozen had to be emptied and washed.  They found a good home (some to my home).  I think the oldest was 1990. 

Well with that hurdle passing I can now get to installing the solar at the cabin having all the components with the exception of Time.

Still haven’t got my wood in for winter but it is cut and split awaiting to be hauled and stacked.  Seriously considering a mini-split to replace the wood stove at my house.  Getting too old and harder each year with the wood.

I will keep thinking of everyone and pop back in from time to time .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Templates: 3: index (default), Ads (default), Recent (default).
Sub templates: 10: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, main, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 2: index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 26 - 707KB. (show)
Cache hits: 10: 0.00095s for 40,792 bytes (show)
Queries used: 15.

[Show Queries]