Used Copper Wiring for House Electrical?

Started by SansPlans, November 14, 2007, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SansPlans

Hi Guys,
So I'm getting closer to the stage where I need to do electrical on my house and I saw this http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mat/477991784.html where the guy is selling cheap copper wire (at least I think its cheap). Is there any practical reason I can't use this on my house? I have no code or inspectors to worry about throwing a fit because it is used.

Also, anyone have a rough idea of how to determine how much electrical wire and what size I need? I was thinking I could buy some of this since now it's cheap and then use it later when the time comes, but I'm not sure how much I should buy.  I do have an electrician who said he will help me w/ the wiring but he's not around right now to help me figure out what I need.

Um...and no  I don't have an electrical plan. I was just going to look for a rough estimate and then figure out where the outlets are going later.  The house is 1300 sf basically.

Thanks for any thoughts.

glenn-k

Romex should be good even if used.  12-2 with ground is rated at 20 amps so uses a 20 amp breaker.  Many crackerbox houses in projects use 14-2 w/ ground rated at 15 amps and limited to a 15 amp breaker.

I would think that around 1000 feet would do that house.  Maybe less -- depends. :)

MountainDon

With the current rising prices on copper products, including wiring, I would be careful about buying used wiring. He could be a completely honest and above board guy. But lots of copper wiring gets stolen and re-sold. I like a bargain but would like to be careful of the source in case my buying the bargain was encouraging and supporting crime. Around here now the scrap metal dealers are asking for and copying all sorts of ID when being offered copper wire or pipe.

Just something to think about.