Fire Exits...

Started by StinkerBell, January 01, 2008, 03:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

Ok I have a question that is rattling in my mind. I got a good loving spanking on a thread regarding egress. I probably deserved it. Made me think and that is the point. So basically I felt that if a loft was a storage area then an egress should not be needed or if it was a playroom (now I admit I was not clear, and that the room is not a room to sleep in). It was still expressed that one should have an egress cause of the risk. Ok fair enough.....Question were posed about how I would feel if a fire happened while family was playing up in the loft.......So here is my question. Why are not egress's not required in bathrooms? I know a few men (maybe some women too) that spend a lot of quality time in the bathroom....btw my husband is rolling his eyes at me right now saying he can never come into this forum now because of me!

Willy

I would think it is do to so called short time use and not a area you would want to sleep in. Being a fire fighter I see lots of things that could be done different to homes for better fire protection. Egress is important if the area could be turned into a bed room or used as a sleeping area. Mark

tanya

Well if you are putting in windows maybe it is just as well to put in the big ones where ever you put one in.  It sure can't hurt while it may help. I personally like windows the bigger the better and even in the bathroom it makes sense what if you were taking a long hot bath home alone and someone forgot to turn off a stove or chimminey fire started?  Lots of people listen to music int he bathroom too so you may not even hear a smoke alarm. I think maybe they should just stop making those smaller windows. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.