Using storm windows rather than full windows on my cabin porch

Started by Wissa38, August 08, 2016, 11:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wissa38

Hi,

I'm currently building a porch off my cabin. The porch is 14 feet by 10 feet, has a wall that comes halfway up. The rest is window - 9 in all, then of course a bit more wall to the ceiling. But this porch will be mostly windows. I'll be insulating the ceiling and walls before I finish the inside. I was going to do screened frames for the windows this year to make it a two season porch, but them wondered if I could use storm windows instead. That way I'll have a bit of protection against the weather and could extend the use of my porch.  I'll buy full windows in a few years, but for now I just want to use the storms.

My question - should I install the storm windows like I would a real window? Install the flashing on the sill, put the storm against the plywood, apply flashing to the outside of the window, then put up trip around the window.

My other option would be to put up the window framing on the outside plywood and attach the storm to the framing. I could still do flashing on the sill, but I wouldn't put flashing around the window because the storm would be on top of my decorative framing.

I will admit to knowing enough to be dangerous on window installation. Any advice appreciated.

Don_P

I would probably flash the sill then apply the storms temporarily to the ply with screws and use scrap to trim over the flanges, again applied with screws. You'll need to take a look at the head trim carefully. If the overhangs protect the tops then that will work. If water washes down the wall then the head trim needs caulk at a minimum for now and keep an eye on it. I'll probably ride through the winter on this job doing similar while we make the windows.