Source for 2x6 T&G roof decking

Started by skiwest, March 30, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiwest

Not having any luck finding a source for 2x6 T&G roof decking hem or fir or pine.  Anyone have a source in southeast BC Golden area? or close to there

Amanda_931

I think I'd have to get it made here.  

Plenty of people who can do that, though.  Wood cut at one of the local sawmills, then run through a dry-kiln, then have it planed and t-and-g cut by someone with a shop.  Doing it with a router sounds like a dead bore.  Although I've seen half-lap cuts done with a router in 5/4 wood intended to be used rough-cut.

Friend of mine did that with some kind of special flooring (persimmon? sassafras?) not too long ago.  That too probably started out as 5/4 wood.  Not near as heavy as 2".

glenn kangiser

There are few ways to make it yourself - quality could vary depending on how well you set it up.  Table saw with a  dado blade or skill saw can be used.  I burned up a couple routers.  I was making shiplap which is quite a bit easier but wouldn't work for deck.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

There has to be a sourse for T&G Hemlock in southern BC , come on thats' where most of ours , US 's comes from.They mill 1000's of brd feet a day fer cryin out loud  :-[

Try a lumber yard  ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

TBA

Skiwest,

I believe the mill at Galloway made it at one time, it was called car decking and it was about 30 years ago that I saw someone use it for floor decking? Give them a call, you never know.

skiwest

my google searches were going no where but I did find two.  Well found one small saw mill in Veron area that did flooring and when I asked said they could do the roof decking.  Another one I had found before but had stored in favorites but couldn't fine.  Have a price from them.

when we put in the loft will use the same thing but good both sides.  Ceiling joists will be 6x10s on 5 foot centers  so 2x 6 should be fine for floor.