Help!

Started by Carrie, September 22, 2005, 11:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrie

Hi everyone,
Someone at the church I attend has given the youth a parcel of land to use to build a cabin for youth retreats and sleep overs ect. The problem is that I am the one he has chosen to give it to to get it started up. I know nothing about building at all so I have ALOT of questions.
The first one would be: can anyone suggust a VERY simple cabin plan. As in one med size room with 2 or 3 rooms off to the side. Oh and a door and a few windows maybe. VERY basic.
#2. Approximatly how much would a very simple cabin cost to build. (just materials, we have lots and lots of strong guys to put it up and are looking into hiring someone with the knowelge to help)
#3. Anything I should know or be carefull of?
And I'm sure I will think up many more as soon as I hit send:)
Thanks so much!
Carrie

texfoolette

Carrie:  I, too, know nothing about building, but already learned a lot just from reading thru old posts.  The "Where to Begin" thread had a wealth of info for me.  Check it out!  

Ray_N

Carrie,

I'm just in the beginning stages of building mine,  If you look in the gallery on the home page you can get an idea of what can be build from the plans available on this site.

Cost is a hard thing to wrestle with,  with a modest pile of wood, plans, and a bunch of free helpers (wish I had some over 5 feet tall) you can get a lot done cheaply,

BUT................

How Basic is Basic?  You have to decide on what to do about a bathroom, water supply, hot water, kitchen facilities, electricity, heat,  all those things that transform a early homesteaders shelter to a home we become accustomed too.  You could easily double the buget just adding one of those items.

It is not to early to start looking or asking around for things like used/leftover windows, building supplies that are laying around in a parishiners garage,  items like those can save quite a bit.

peg_688

Carrie  Look at the blessing  given you  :) The giver must see Christ in you to trust you with so much.  

Not knowing where your located , nor your local codes , hence not knowing your location .  I'd sort of, if it was here in Oak Harbor, Wa or Island county, think of small , under two hundred sqr feet, no permit , no inspections , no issues , buildings .

I'd think of one common area , kitchen , bathrooms , meeting room  as a central location and the cabins surrounding that hub .  That would need to comply with all local and handi cap code requirements.    

Bunk house style (sheds) six bunks per building , common style ,  one dresser , etc . Heat only if you need it , location ?  Battery power lighting , KISS , Keep It Simple Stupid,   and also safe for kids to use  less to go wrong , sort of  ;)  Make the local building offical's prove you need to do more  ::)

Very exciting project to post on , IMHO .

More info needed to help ya , and Happy to do so :)