perc'd?

Started by Kristen, August 05, 2005, 02:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristen

I'm sure this is a silly question and probably doesn't belong here but what is perc'd? I know it's some kind of real estate term or something.

Daddymem

It had a percolation test performed on it.  This can be for septic or drainage.

In other words some oaf had to pour perfectly good water into a hole dug in the ground to see how fast the water would go through the soil.  Yeah...I'm the oaf above  ;D

Kristen

I'm afraid  I don't get it. What's the point?

glenn-k

The point is if it flows out too slow or too fast they won't let you go with a standard drain field then you get into engineered drain fields that cost tons of money or possibly have to look in a different place for acceptable soil and pump the effluent up to it incurring a little more cost but having a field that will drain instead of one that will easily back up overflowing the septic tank - running solids into your drain field and finishing plugging everything up.

Hows that for a run on sentence. ??? ;D

Amanda_931

If you're on a sewer line it's irrelevant.

Out in the country, though....

Amanda_931

Most country, fair number of suburban, places require a septic tank.

It's possible to do without one--Earthshipstm are designed that way, with built-in grey- and black-water systems  

But in order to build your Earthshiptm on your property you might still have to have a septic tank in the ground.  Just because.  Especially in the East, I'd think.

The company that owns the trademark does sell houses/plans that are self-contained--electricity production, water and sewage treatment all designed in.  That's why they are so expensive.  There are plenty of people doing tire houses who are not necessarily designing or building  them to be self-contained.

Leo

Just got perc approved a couple of weeks ago and in that county no perc =no electricity.The day You pass perc is cause for celebration.

Amanda_931