PT Lumber ...shrink and warp

Started by pioneergal, July 24, 2005, 03:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

Is there any merit to the idea that PT lumber is a NO NO to use for floor joists due to its moisture content causing it later to warp and shrink?

JRR

I think pretreated and untreated wood may be equally suseptible to warpage.  

I find pretreated wood usually more knot-free ... that's a plus.

But often, the lumber yard (especially the smaller businesses) will store pretreated bundles outdoors instead of in a dry area ... that's a minus.  It means that when you buy pretreated from such a yard, you have some careful drying to do on your own.  Put it in direct hot sun and you've got a pretzel.

PEG688

pioneergal I didn't mention that but I do know it does .  I try to keep all our PT stock covered with something , building wrap , other lumber,,, anything to keep the sun off it .  in summer . While it's being  stored .     It is so wet that if left in the sun , not covered for hours,, it really ,, the stuff on top,, drys so quickly that it as a one good old lumber yard manager told me once " Nail her down fast so it,,,  Doesn't jump the fence on ya!" Good old  Freddie  :)  If you can get it nailed in place and the decking on it,, it will do OK .    At least that been my experience where in Wa state .   Summer sun is much harder on wood than winter rain.   So in Tex. with the heat / sun I'd keep it covered before use,, maybe even wet it each day , then recover it ,,, and deck over ASAP  once you put it in place .  HTBH  ;)PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .