HELP !!!  Outer wall shudders & shakes

Started by Tommyboy, July 11, 2005, 09:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommyboy

Recently purchased 20 X 30 cabin, bedroom, bath and small utility room located in back with loft above.  Living and Kitchen in front with open ceiling.
When you slam front door the entire front wall shakes.  Wall are 2 x 4's,  1/2 " sheeting with 1/4 log cedar siding.   Open ceiling is  2 x 12's  to a
laminated beam. roof is sheeted with 1/2" and then
steel..   I'm wondering what I need here... maybe a beam to tie the front wall to the back wall ?

peg_688

Ya a beam tied back to the loft would help .  One of those cases where a ballon framed wall , blocked at 10 ft or mid wall for fire code ,  would have worked better , or a continueous header might have stiffened that wall,  A LVL , gluelam, Paralam  20 ft long .     Another way which could work , but might pull  a bow into the wall would  be cable's or a  cable with turn buckles back up to the existing ridge beam or at 45 diagree angles over to the wall top plates . The cable/ cables would put the end wall in tension which should lessin the shake rattle and roll.  And be some what less unsightly than a beam .    Or even a curved knee brace from door header up to the ridge , depends on the other details in the cabin , bolted into the ridge and door header .  Just a few ideas to ponder. HTBH  ;)PEG

PEG688

Not many takers on this one .  What did you decide to do???   HTBH  ;)PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I think we may need some more information to make some educated guesses- possibly some pictures etc as it is a bit hard to picture the whole problem from the above description.

Sounds like the original builder may have used some faulty framing techniques.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Tommyboy

I have decided to add a brace from the ridge to the

Tommyboy

I have decided to add a brace from the ridge to the wall.